Chapter - 11

Third person's pov:

"Sung-jin!" Mr. Minatozaki called as soon as he got out of the car. Sana turned toward the house, beckoning to Eunha as she ducked under the porch. She heard her father greeting them loudly behind her.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't see you behind the wheel, Eunha," Mr. Minatozaki said disapprovingly.

"We get permits early on the rez," Eunha said while Sana unlocked the door and flicked on the porch light.

"Sure you do," Mr. Minatozaki laughed.

"I have to get around somehow." Sana recognized Sung-jin's resonant voice easily, despite the years. The sound of it made her feel suddenly younger, a child.

Sana went inside, leaving the door open behind her and turning on lights before she hung up her jacket. Then she stood in the door, watching anxiously as Mr. Minatozaki and Eunha helped Sung-jin out of the car and into his wheelchair. Sana backed out of the way as the three of them hurried in, shaking off the rain.

"This is a surprise," Mr. Minatozaki was saying.

"It's been too long," Sung-jin answered. "I hope it's not a bad time." His dark eyes flashed up to Sana again, their expression unreadable.

"No, it's great. I hope you can stay for the game." Eunha grinned. "I think that's the plan - our TV broke last week." Sung-jin made a face at his son. "And, of course, Eunha was anxious to see Sana again," he added. Eunha scowled and ducked his head while Sana fought back a surge of remorse. Maybe she'd been too convincing on the beach.

"Are you hungry?" Sana asked, turning toward the kitchen. She was eager to escape Sung-jin's searching gaze.

"Naw, we ate just before we came," Eunha answered.

"How about you, Appa?" Sana called over her shoulder as she fled around the corner.

"Sure," he replied.

Sana was making Bulgogi when she sensed someone behind her.

"So, how are things?" Eunha asked.

"Pretty good." Sana smiled. His enthusiasm was hard to resist. "How about you? Did you finish your car?"

"No." Eunha frowned. "I still need parts. We borrowed that one." He pointed with his thumb in the direction of the front yard.

"Sorry. I haven't seen any... what was it you were looking for?"

"Master cylinder." Eunha grinned. "Is something wrong with the truck?" he added suddenly.

"No."

"Oh. I just wondered because you weren't driving it."

"I got a ride with a friend."

"Nice ride." Eunha's voice was admiring. "I didn't recognize the driver, though. I thought I knew most of the kids around here." Sana nodded noncommittally, keeping her eyes down on her dish.

"My dad seemed to know him from somewhere."

"Eunha, could you hand me some plates They're in the cupboard over the sink."

"Sure."

He got the plates in silence. Sana hoped he would let it drop now.

"So who was it?" he asked, setting two plates on the counter next to her. Sana sighed in defeat. "Yoo Jeongyeon's son, Tzuyu."

To her surprise, he laughed. She glanced up at him. He looked a little embarrassed.

"Guess that explains it, then," Eunha said. "I wondered why my dad was acting so strange."