Chapter - 9

Third person's pov:

It was very hard for Sana, in the morning, to argue with the part of her that was sure last night was a dream. Logic wasn't on her side, or common sense. She clung to the parts she couldn't have imagined - like Tzuyu's smell. She was sure she could never have dreamed that up on her own.

It was foggy and dark outside her window, absolutely perfect. He had no reason not to be in school today. She dressed in her heavy clothes, remembering she didn't have a jacket. Further proof that her memory was real. When she got downstairs, Mr. Minatozaki was gone again - Sana was running later so she eat her breakfast in a hurry and went out. She was a few feet down the driveway before she realized there was a car in it: a silver car. Her heart thudded, stuttered, and then picked up again in double time.

Sana didn't see where he came from, but suddenly he was there, pulling the door open for her.

"Do you want to ride with me today?" Tzuyu asked, amused by her expression as he caught her by surprise yet again. There was uncertainty in his voice.

Tzuyu was really giving her a choice - she was free to refuse, and part of him hoped for that. It was a vain hope.

"Yes, thank you," Sana said, trying to keep her voice calm. As she stepped into the warm car, she noticed his tan jacket was slung over the headrest of the passenger seat. The door closed behind her, and, sooner than should be possible, he was sitting next to her, starting the car.

"I brought the jacket for you. I didn't want you to get sick or something." Tzuyu's voice was guarded. Sana noticed that he wore no jacket himself, just a light gray knit V-neck shirt with long sleeves. Again, the fabric clung to his perfectly muscled chest. It was a colossal tribute to his face that it kept her eyes away from his body.

"I'm not quite that delicate," Sana said, but she pulled the jacket onto her lap, pushing her arms through the too-long sleeves, curious to see if the scent could possibly be as good as I remembered. It was better.

"Aren't you?" Tzuyu contradicted in a voice so low Sana wasn't sure if he meant for her to hear.

They drove through the fog-shrouded streets, always too fast, feeling awkward. Sana was, at least. Last night all the walls were down... almost all. She didn't know if they were still being as candid today. It left her tongue-tied. Sana waited for him to speak.

Tzuyu turned to smirk at her. "What, no twenty questions today?"

"Do my questions bother you?" Sana asked, relieved.

"Not as much as your reactions do." Tzuyu looked like he was joking, but she couldn't be sure.

Sana frowned. "Do I react badly?"

"No, that's the problem. You take everything so coolly - it's unnatural. It makes me wonder what you're really thinking."

"I always tell you what I'm really thinking."

"You edit," Tzuyu accused.

"Not very much."

"Enough to drive me insane."

"You don't want to hear it," Sana mumbled, almost whispered. As soon as the words were out, she regretted them. The pain in her voice was very faint; she could only hope he hadn't noticed it.

Tzuyu didn't respond, and Sana wondered if she had ruined the mood. His face was unreadable as they drove into the school parking lot. Something occurred to her belatedly.

"Where's the rest of your family?" Sana asked - more than glad to be alone with him, but remembering that his car was usually full.

"They took Momo's car." Tzuyu shrugged as he parked next to a glossy red convertible with the top up. "showy, isn't it?"