Chapter 25

"Putangina," I cursed.

Mabilis kong tinulak si Calen. "Asawa mo dati?"

Marahang tumango si Calen. My mouth is wide open. Hindi ako mapaniwala sa narinig ko. Amara is his wife?!

"I was forced to marry her when I graduated college. I was 21 at that time, and I admit that I was an asshole for agreeing afterward to marry her without feeling the same feelings she had with me."

Natahimik ako sa narinig. 'Feeling the same feelings she had with me'? Ibig bang sabihin no'n ay may gusto na 'tong si Amara kay Calen dati pa? How did they end up marrying?

"How did you end up marrying?" Tanong ko.

Calen sighed. "She asked her parents to ask mine to marry me. Amara was their only child, so they did everything they could to win the favor of my parents to give her what she wants. And to my surprise, they actually did. I did not accept it at first, but they pursued me." Huminga siya nang malalim. "I was so tired of putting up with their actions, so I just agreed."

Amara did really go up to this length just to have Calen? Bilib din ako sa determinasyon niya kung ganoon!

"But I already told to her that I didn't feel the same way, but she still insisted. She said she was okay with that. I thought there would be no problems because we both knew our situations, but things went too far."

Grabe naman pala 'tong si Amara. Calen didn't love her, but she accepted that? Amara is really pretty, I'll give her that. She could attract men with her beauty. How did she put up with that kind of setting?

"Went too far? What do you mean?"

"There was no wedding. It was only signing the marriage certificate." Kuwento ulit ni Calen. "I started working in our company after I married her. I couldn't focus my attention on her or gave her time because I was really busy. I was still figuring about life, and that's when I realized that I wasn't prepared yet for that kind of set-up."

I remained silent. Calen was 21 at that time when he got married? He was still young. How could they force him? They left him with no choice.

"After months of being married, she followed me everywhere. Even at work. She thought I was cheating. She fired almost all women in our firm. She also fired all the maids in our house and in this house. I didn't cheat, but she was acting crazy. That left me no choice but to ask for a divorce." He said.

Natulala ako. Amara really did that? Kawawa naman kung ganoon ang mga nasisante. How could she do that?

"Months? I thought you were married for three years?" Kunot-noong tanong ko.

"She didn't sign the divorce. I left her. I didn't want to make things complicated. I stayed here for two months. But after that, her parents begged me again because her body collapsed. They said she couldn't sleep at night. She didn't eat her meals too. Her health was at stake because of what I did."

My jaw dropped. Hindi ako makapaniwala sa mga narinig ko. She really loved Calen way too much to be fallen in a state like that.

Too much love can be poisonous. Mabuti na lang at hindi ako tanga.

"You went back to her?"

Napalunok si Calen. "Yes, I did. It was all my fault. If only I cared for her, she wouldn't be like that. Though I said that there was no romance between us, I was still obliged to at least make her feel safe and happy. But I failed to do that because I was selfish. I only cared for myself."