Chapter 34

"What did your dad say, Lav?" Lexie asked and sipped her coffee.

Bumuntong hininga ako bago siya hinarap. Kapapatay ko lang ng Messenger video call ni Daddy. "He wants me to go home for his 50th birthday, Lexie."

Nasamid si Lexie sa iniinom at nilapag ang kape sa lamesa. "What?! Kailan daw?! Oh gosh, I'm not prepared yet." Maarteng hinawakan ni Lexie ang dibdib na para bang gulat na gulat sa narinig.

"His birthday will be next month. I'm not planning to go home yet, but it's his 50th birthday, you know." Sabi ko at umupo sa sofang kinauupuan ni Lexie.

"So, uuwi tayo?"

"You can't come with me if you don't want to, Lexie."

"Sasama ako kung uuwi ka na. Ayaw kong maiwan dito, no!" Lexie hissed. Kinuha niya ulit ang kape at iniinom iyon.

It's freezing here in the US since it's December now. Mas lalong malamig ngayon dahil malapit na ang katapusan ng Disyembre. It's snowing outside too.

"Are you sure that you will be okay?" Tanong ko kay Lexie at ininom ang kape kong halos wala ng init.

Lexie pursed her lips. "Are you sure that you will be okay, Lav?" Tanong niya pabalik sa akin.

Nagtitigan kaming dalawa ni Lexie dahil alam na namin sa sarili ang sagot. We both laughed and continued talking about other things, especially what happened three years ago

"Lex...Lex..." Malakas akong kumatok sa pintuan ng condo unit ni Lexie habang umiiyak kahit na hindi ko alam kung nandito ba siya.

Lexie was out of the country for the time being. Hindi ko alam kung nakauwi na ba siya. She didn't know what had happened to my father yet. We lost communication because of her hectic schedule and strict parents. Ang alam ko lang ay sobrang abala siya sa trabaho. I was just trying my luck if she was here.

Mabilis na bumukas ang pintuan at niluwa no'n si Lexie. Nanlaki ang mga mata niya nang makita akong malakas na humihikbi. Nakasuot pa siya ng business attire niya. I glimpsed at her four baggage on the floor. Mukhang kakauwi nga niya.

"What happened?!"

Mas lalo akong naiyak nang maalala ang mga nangyari sa akin ngayong nagdaang linggo. "Ayaw ko na rito, Lex. It's so exhausting. Ayaw ko na, Lex..." Pinunasan ko ang mga luha ko. Lexie welcomed me with a hug.

"It's so tiring...It's draining me so much..." I sobbed harder.

"What do you want to do?" Mahinahong tanong ni Lexie. Hindi ako nakaimik kaagad dahil sa sobrang gulo na ng utak ko.

After seeing Calen's state, I lost my mind. Walang pumapasok sa loob ng utak ko kung hindi ang pag-iisip na ako ang may kasalanan nang lahat ng ito. I thought that if I fled away, everything would at least fall into a peaceful state. But we had gone through a lot.

Lexie left everyone for herself and me. She left her luxurious life to come with me. We cut off all of our connections with our families and even the people we knew. We were both broken at that time, and all we had was each other.

We were healing ourselves...away from everyone. And I know that what I did was a selfish act, but I had no choice.

Lexie bought a two-story house for us in the province of Ilocos Norte, near her hectares of land. But after purchasing a house for both of us, Lexie's parents cut off her source of money. Since Lexie was using her parents' card, they had the power to close all the bank accounts that Lexie had access to. Maybe they thought Lexie would return to them because of what they did, but Lexie didn't.

Lexie chose to stay by my side because she didn't want me to leave all alone by myself.

Lexie and I worked in one of the cities here in the Ilocos Norte. Mahigit 30 minutos ang biyahe mula sa probinsiya kung saan kami nakatira hanggang sa siyudad na pinagtratrabuhan namin. Lexie was working as a waitress in one of the restaurants, and I worked as a cashier in a coffee shop.