How to get away with murder

"If I went down the trap door, would it really be worth it? I mean, there may be zombies down there? Riddle, what should I do?" Yuu asks, pacing around Epel's room.

"Yuu, I highly doubt Vil killed someone. He cares about his reputation too much to damage that," Riddle says, sipping his tea in the rose garden.

"Riddle, I saw him! I legit saw the body! I saw him kick the body downstairs!" Yuu exclaims, slamming her hands on the table. "Besides, didn't Vil try to kill Neige at the VDC!"

"Touche. I'll let Ace and Deuce adventure with your murder mystery," Riddle replies, grabbing another tart.

The plan is simple. Go into Pomefiore, enter the guest room, find the trap door, and get a picture of the body or bodies. Everything is going well until they go into the guest room.

"The trap door should be here! Near the closet!" Yuu squeals, feeling the floor. "What the hell? It should be here! Maybe I need to pull a book or handle or something?"

Yuu pulls books and twists random door knobs, but nothing happens. Vil walks into the room and sees Yuu pulling random objects.

"Yuu, darling, what are you doing?" Vil questions, stopping Yuu from her searching.

"Um..I'm looking for a book," Yuu lies, walking back to the bookshelf.

"Did you have to bring Deuce and Ace to do that?" Vil asks, looking at the boy's dirty shoes.

"They're here to help me. Do you want to help me too?" Yuu responds, trying not to give out her motive.

"Look, why not be honest? Vil, where is the trap door? The one you put Milhouse's body under," Ace interrogates, making Yuu facepalm. "I mean, sure, we're glad he's gone, but what is going to happen when RSA notices he's missing."

"Why would I put a dead body in the guest room? It would fumigate the room with the smell of rotting flesh," Vil replies, disgust covering his face. "Honestly, I expect more from you, from all of you. Deuce, Ace, you should leave."

Deuce, Ace, and Yuu look at each other, unsure what to do. Deuce and Ace wave goodbye to Yuu, walking out of the Pomefiore dorm, leaving Yuu alone with Vil. The tension was so thick that not even the sharpest blade could cut it. Vil and Yuu look at each other for a while, then Yuu decides to make her exit.

"Well, I think I better head off to ca-" Yuu says, getting cut off by Vil shutting and locking the door behind him.

"Sit down, Yuu," Vil commands, sitting on the guest bedroom bed. "We need to talk."

Yuu doesn't hesitate and sits down next to him. Vil touches Yuu's cheek, and she flinches.

"Please don't be scared of me. If it makes you feel better, Milhouse may actually be alive, well alive in a ghost way. When I poisoned him, his skin was freezing cold and had a natural blue hue. I got the sense he was never actually alive in the traditional way, to begin with," Vil explains, looking into Yuu's eyes. "The trap door is also a place where our former dorm leaders rest if they can't be sent home. Sometimes the poisons we make for the position of dorm leader can be more unnatural than we think. I-you should see for yourself."

Vil walks to a purple carpet and lifts it up, revealing the trap door Yuu was searching for. He holds Yuu's hands tight, lights a lantern, and guides her down the dark steps. Groans and gargles become louder as they descend the stairs until Vil stops at a gruesome sight. Former dorm leaders, transformed into monsters that only the imagination can make. A boy with rotting flesh that keeps repairing itself. Another boy with brown hair that's sucking on his wrist to drink his blood like a vampire. A young man who looks like a werewolf. Finally, a boy, who only looked to be 16 whose skin is a horrendous mix-match of mermaid and human skin.

"Vil, you didn't do this, did you?" Yuu asks, clinging to Vil's arms.

"Oh no, the dorm leader I challenged died," Vil answers casually.

Yuu gives Vil a look of shock and fear, making him realize his mistake.

"Sorry, I should've clarified. The poison gave him a heart attack, which killed him for 5 minutes, then he was given an antidote and CPR. He's perfectly alive and well on campus. Though we don't see him much due to him being a fourth year," Vil clarifies, wiping the sweat off his head.

"Vil, why did you dump trash into our hideout? I can't eat him, it's like he's been dead for the past 17 years!" The boy with the rotting flesh shrieks, walking closer to Vil. "They started accepting girls now?"

"No, she's just a visitor. Anyway, if you three have any hope of leaving this place, I would keep taking the antidotes I give you," Vil replies, his face unchanging in front of the rotting boy. "We'll be leaving now."

The journey back up the steps was silent, but that was something Yuu enjoyed. She liked seeing a new side to Vil, she liked seeing him care about his dorm mates.

"You care for them a lot, don't you?" Yuu says, still arm in arm with Vil.

"I do. This may seem silly, but I sometimes wish upon a shooting star and hope that by some miracle they can leave their hideout. I want the best for them," Vil responds, opening the trap door. "The same way I want the best for you."

"I didn't know you cared."

"Of course I do. I worry for you sometimes. You always solve everyone's problems free of charge with no expectations of getting anything in return."

"You're not as self-centered as I thought you were, Vil."

"Thank you."