Chapter seven

The subtle sounds of the mornings woke me up sooner than I could ever anticipate. It was 4:15 a.m., to my surprise. I hadn't slept well since we got to Amber Sunset, and it was because of her. She was more than I expected. I already felt a connection, a pure one. As soon as she saw me she was happy.

It felt nice to be accepted just for who I was, not for your talent, how good you played or how good you looked. It felt nice to be accepted simply for being myself. It reminded me of how Iris said yes because it was me and because of what our relationship meant for her.

Mom and I had talked for days. She always made good questions that kept the conversation going, and she was a good listener. I told her all about me, and if I hadn't yet, she probably had a good question that could get that thing she didn't know from me.

We were having a good time simply talking. But, during my awakened rest, I realized that she hadn't told me much about herself. And when I had asked her, she curved her way into asking me another question. I only knew her name and my dad's name, and that she was a werewolf and he wasn't. Other than that, nothing.

She had even talked to Iris the day I called her to tell her how everything was going. The two of them seemed to have liked each other and mom approved of my mate.

I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. I was simply staring at nowhere in particular. When I got bored, I got up and decided to go for a walk. Since I had gotten to Amber Sunset I hadn't walked out the mansion door, I had stayed talking all day to mom, bonding and laughing.

When I got downstairs a guard came to me.

"Mister Freeman, are you going somewhere?"

"I'd like to go for a walk. I haven't been able to sleep well, maybe some fresh air might help me." I told him.

He let me go on the condition that I stayed close to the house. Though I wasn't planning on going far, I agreed to his terms.

That small time of nice coldness and delicious fresh air did wonders for me. I felt very much relieved without reason, but I couldn't argue.

I had decided on the walk that I needed to ask my mother some questions. And as I got closer to the mansion, I could feel movement around the house. The alpha had woken up, and had decided to go out for a walk as well. We simply decided to keep each other company for a moment.

"It seems like a very peaceful morning, now doesn't it?" He asked.

"It does." I said.

"So, what brought you here so early? Not even I get up so early to work." He asked.

"I couldn't sleep well, and I needed to clear up my mind. Y'know. Meeting my mother and all." I answered.

"I see. And how is everything going with her? If I may ask."

"Good. Just that, I realized I had only talked about myself with her, and she hadn't told me much about herself." I answered.

He looked at the distance with a concerned expression.

"Maybe it's best for now not to know more than necessary, Aiden." He told me with a concerned look. "Simply be thankful you have her."

"But how did she even lose me? What happened to her and dad? Why did my adoptive mothers said I was found in a forest?" I asked in a troubled tone.

"All I can tell you Aiden, is to be grateful she is alive and you two have found each other."

"I can't even know about my own father? What is going on Rudolph? What do you know that I don't and should?" I asked him seriously. "I deserve to know."

"I'm just not sure if your mother is prepared to answer those questions." He told me.

"What is that even supposed to mean Rudolph?" I asked.

We both looked at the mansion when the back door opened and Autumn got out.

"Is everything alright Aiden?" She asked me.

"I don't know. Ask him." I said, pointing at Rudolph with a confused and angry expression. I didn't know why he was avoiding answers so much.

"What's going on?" She asked him.

He sighed. "He wants to know what happened to his mother and father. It's more complicated than just answering a question. She may not be ready for this conversation. And if she hasn't told you anything, perhaps my hypothesis is true." He answered.

"Are you kidding me?" She told him with narrowed eyes. "What about Aiden? Right now he probably feels abandoned or rejected in some way. I've seen him with his mom. They've been talking nonstop. But if she hasn't told him what happened to her, he'll keep asking. You know why? Because he is entitled for an answer. Why the hell was he alone in the woods? Hell, not even I know. Do you?" She told Rudolph.

"To be honest, no. I don't know what necessarily happened. But I do have an idea of what happened to her through these years and who is responsible." He answered, then he turned to look at me. "Forgive me if my answers have been so vague. I also need to talk to her about what happened to her."

I felt guilty for being selfish, but I did want an answer. "Could you at least tell me what you think might have happened?" I asked Rudolph.

Just when he was about to answer he started looking distant while looking at me, which felt awkward. Whenever wolves did that they were communicating through mind-link. As the name suggests, they communicate through their minds. This can only be achieved by pack wolves though, so no rogues can tell what's they're thinking. It's usually used for defense. And by the looks of it, right now it was being used for just that.

"Rogues." Autumn said, also looking distant.

"They're headed to the pack prison. Autumn, you're coming with me. Connor, you stay." Rudolph commanded.

I went to the house, but when I looked for her, she was gone. I asked the guards for her, but they didn't know where she had gone. They did tell me I shouldn't leave the house until the coast was clear, though.

So I waited, and waited. It felt like hours, when it was just minutes. And then, all of a sudden a strong pain took over my chest. It was enough to knock me down to the floor agonizing in pain. The guards weren't sure what to do to help me. I heard one of them call the pack doctor, hoping it would help.

I felt out of breath and weak. And I felt, sad. I didn't know why, but it was like a heart ache. I felt like crying, but I didn't cry. I was suffering a weird fit, but I needed to compose myself. Just when I felt about to pass out, it stopped. But my body still felt sore. One of the guards offered me water with a pitied look. I didn't like his look, but I guess I would've done the same in his shoes.

A couple of minutes after I had calmed down, Autumn stormed through the door and came running to me. She was naked, but she hugged me hard, and she was crying.

"Hey. Hey. What's wrong?" I asked her while soothing her, sliding my hand up and down in her back.

"Didn't you feel it? The connection breaking?" She asked me while crying.

I widened my eyes at her question. "What are you talking about?" I asked her, hoping it wasn't what I had in mind.

"Your mother. She-" she couldn't finish her sentence. But I knew what she meant.