Chapter 2 The Unknown

0638H June 15, 23XX

Malacañang Palace.

President Cruz was having his morning breakfast when suddenly one of his aides barged in.

"Mr. President! Mr. President!
We have an urgent report from the PASE (Philippine Association of Space Exploration). It says that they detected a large structural object passing Saturn, and the Union of Nations and the United States of America are also detecting the same object as we contact one of our colonies on Mars. They say that there is still no result as to what is happening because the object is about 1.4 billion kilometers away and that the Jupiter orbital laboratory still can't discern what the object is.

The president then read the report and told his aide to get the press conference, as some of their families are in the Mars colony.

(What the president says about some of the families, meaning that conglomerates that are nationally Filipino or Pinoy, and as he says it in a serious manner)

"Yes, Mr. President!"

The president then held a press conference.

"Good Morning, too My People of the Nation! As of this morning at six in the morning, PASE has detected an unknown megastructure half the size of Earth and traversing in the direction of Mars as we speak. As of now, there is no need to worry, as the structure is moving in a slow phase and is approximately 1.4 billion kilometers away from our Mars colony. If the worst comes to pass, I will order one of the orbital mother ships to go and rescue our countrymen on the red planet. So as of now, the PASE, the Union of Nations, and every private space company in the USA are still observing the structure. As of its origin, we still don't know if this is life or a visitor from another star system hundreds of thousands of light-years away.

As the president gives his speech, the secretary rushes toward him and tells him that it is urgent and he needs to meet with the director of PASE as soon as possible.

0812H June 15, 23XX

Malacaang Palace Meeting Room

Once the president enters the room, an aide briefs him on the content of the meeting that the director will give.

"Mr. President, the meeting will concern the incident so as not to cause panic among the public; the meeting will not be held in public," said the aide.

President "Understood then let us begin"

Then on the screen, the PASE director addressed the president.

"Mr. President, let's cut to the chase the unknown object that is passing Saturn at this moment is detected to be a spacecraft that is shaped like a cube, but upon further investigation, the said spacecraft has a middle part made out of ions and is emitting a lot of radiation. For all we know, this might be a warship, and the speed is increasing because it is using Saturn's gravity to repel itself. We measure the arrival time of the spacecraft to reach Mars orbit in about 8 months, so I would like to make a request that we get our people off of Mars as soon as possible, Mr. President."

The President replied, "Are you sure, Director Oliquino, about this?"

"Yes," as the director nodded his head.

"Ok, I allow it, director, to get our people off the red planet," said the president.

"Thank you, Mr. President,"

The reason why the director of PASE is so adamant about getting the people off the planet is that his daughter Ana is a scientist on the colony, so the director pushes for the rescue as soon as he can and thinks of any possible way to persuade the president to agree to his request.

0500H June 16, 23XX

orbit of planet Earth.

[Second Space Fleet of the Republic of the Philippines]

The fleet consists of four-star ships and one multipurpose orbital spacecraft.

Then, on the MOS, a transmission message from the Director of PASE was sent to the admiral of the second fleet.

"Good morning, Admiral Sabio. As of 0912H on June 15, 23XX, the President of the Republic will approve the rescue of our countrymen on the red planet as soon as possible."

"Understood Director"

Then Admiral Sabio ordered all the ship captains to change course and open all Hyper engines (as of this era, warping isn't possible as all have failed and still can't find how to easily travel to space, but the Hyper engine is a small nuclear power craft cutting the travel time in half and the technology to hibernate is available).

So as the fleet was traveling into deep space, the crews of the ships were put into a deep slumber and set to their course on the red planet.

2313H November 8: 23XX

Entering the Mars sphere of influence (and experiencing the gravitational pull of Mars)

All the crew woke up from their slumbers and checked all the needed procedures. One of the crew members diverted his eyes to the red planet. Upon observation, next to the planet there is a small, round object. The alarms rang in all the ships that detected an unknown object nearing the red planet at a fast phase. The physicists and other astronauts calculated the speed of the object, and it will take the object about 6 days (Earth time) before it enters Mars's sphere of influence. While everyone is in a state of panic, a beam of light from the object hits the planet.

Everyone is silent as to what they saw, as if God gave judgment.