Chapter 14 - May's Challenge

Mark woke up at 4:30 in the morning. He still can't seem to grasp all that happened yesterday but one thing is clear to him; there is no more turning back. He summoned his demon to caress it, trying to make himself, feel better a bit. Satisfied, he then stood up from bed.

All that he has dreamed off since he was young is all right before him but he doesn't seem so happy. He now wished it was merely a dream but as he walk towards the closet and opens it, the military clothes, his demon, the room, everything is as real as the pain the he still feels in his heart.

'At least I am fighting for something, am I not?' Mark tried to console himself as he removes his military school uniform which he slept on and changed into casual clothing.

He absorbed his demon and went out of his room. As always, he walked towards the canteen to get a glass of water.

"Good morning kid! Need a glass of water?" The chef greeted him and as always, he is carrying a cauldron with him and is walking towards the cooking area.

"Yes Mr. Anderson and uhmm...just freshening up." Mark walked towards the water jug as the chef disappears to the room behind the counter and got some water.

He looked around expecting to see Myrtle but she seem nowhere in sight.

"Uhmmm...didn't Myrtle come here this morning?" Mark spoke as loudly as he can to catch the attention of Mr. Anderson inside the cooking area.

"Nah! I didn't see her come. Perhaps she's preparing for the trainer's challenge later!" The Mr. Anderson's voice is still as loud as when he greeted Mark this morning.

'Oh yes this is the start of our real training as cadet summoners.' Mark thought as he empty his glass.

"I heard you're teaming up with May's younger brother lad! Well l can say you've got quite a good ally there. Except of course it is better if it would have been Myrtle." Mark stayed silent not sure of what to make out of Mr. Anderson's words.

A few seconds later, Mr. Anderson came out of the cooking area holding a bowl of soup with his left hand.

"Here you go lad!" Mr. Anderson cheerfully walked towards Mark and then leaned near him and whispered. "Eat that special porridge I made for you lad! Consume it quick before someone else comes, I made it just for you!"

The soup's aroma is greatly delectable. He can't seem to distinguish the spices but they are surely mixed in a perfectly tempting blend.

Mark filled his spoon and gently blew on it to make sure it cools down. He took a sip and indeed, it made all his sorrow turn into delight. He finished his fill just in time for the breakfast bell.

The chef quickly got Mark's bowl after setting all the dishes in place. The canteen area was slowly filled with students. Mark sat with Simen's company and had fun simply chatting while eating with them.

James miraculously joined them but remained silent all throughout the chatters.

Now it's time. Each student went back to their rooms to gear up for their first challenges. After this challenge, they would finally be given a weapon of their own to be used on their upcoming missions. James, Mark and Lyra decided to meet up at the front of the elevator.

After taking a thorough morning shower, Mark wore his uniform as quickly as he can.

It was a new uniform other than their usual class fashion. It was placed on his bed the moment he entered his room yesterday with a note that it will be his uniform for this day.

The uniform is composed of a black fitted t-shirt with a deep v-neck partnered with a pair of black rothco emt pants secured with a charcoal web belt with silver tip and buckle.