Chapter 44 - What Do I Fight For?

'What do I fight for? Do I even have the choice not to fight?' Mark suddenly got lost in his thought, a reaction which seemed to be a bit too late for the unknown voice's previous question and certainly not a good time to be pondering.

With time being resumed, the black demon continued towards its path and with the absence of Mark in front of it, the demon simply dashed forward in midair arching downward until it landed to the ground. The grey demon on other hand quickly turned around upon realizing Mark's presence near it. The demon then shot a flame spell towards the boy.

Mark was able to quickly return to his senses, upon the spell's quick approach. He evaded the spell but his left cheek got grazed by the flames. And making matters worse, the black demon suddenly appeared in front of him, with its drills targeted on his chest. His reflexes helped him to retaliate with a flame spell. The grey demon was able to dissipate the spell yet again, but the sudden flash of light partly disoriented the black demon, giving Mark a chance to evade. 

As Mark stepped back however, his foot landed on what seemed like a lose stone. With his weight, he was able to partly push the stone farther to the ground, suddenly causing a light trembling within the dungeon-like place. The floor between him and his opponents split apart, revealing a dark pit that seemed endless. From the pitch black gap suddenly rose a crystalline sword. It appearance seemed to have struck fear on both demons for as soon as it showed itself, neither of Mark's opponents dared to make any move. 

'Ah you found the sword of Eruviel.' The similar voice from before suddenly rang inside Mark's head. It seemed to be speaking with the boy directly this time, compared to its scattered tone from before. 'Now that one can help you with your fight. But know that wielding that will destroy your own demon as well.'

"Wait what do you mean destroy?" Mark implored, with his eyes fixed on the floating sword

'What else could the word destroy mean? He will be obliterated, shattered, gone from existence. But is that really important now? Oh, you can forget about our deal. After all, you said you simply fight to survive right? Well, at least you got a chance against those two.' The voice tempted, yet in a mocking tone as if testing his resolve.

"Well, did you mean I might destroy my demon with that?" Mark responds with another query, still puzzled at the voice's deal.

'You're not listening well my child. I remember saying that wielding that WILL destroy your demon. Well I think I must elaborate myself then. Once you pull that sword, the foundation that holds your demon will collapse, making it fall down to the endless pit and be consumed by darkness. So yes, once you choose to grab that weapon, then you bring the Alpha demon to its doom.' 

For a moment, Mark stood still, his eyes still drawn to the sword's beauty. The chance of winning the battle is now at hand, but that will also serve as his demon's destruction. He stepped closer, right hand gradually raised towards the sword. This could end his own peril and finally help him escape the place. Before he could touch the sword however, he suddenly pulled his hand back as if shocked by something.

"No forget it. I will not sacrifice my demon for that! I will win this battle on my own if needed!" Mark snarled, in a strong resolve as he stepped back from the shimmering weapon.

'Are you sure? I don't think you have any chance of winning without that.' The voice mocked, its tone embodying an endless torment inside the boy's head.

"There will be another way." Mark responded stubbornly, hoping that the ominous voice would stop bugging him to get the sword.

'Oh really. How else do you think you can win against those two? You have no weapons with you? You can't even use your own spells.' The voice continued, seemingly sniggering at his last words.