Chapter 4: Final Trial, Final Selection

Tanjiro and Nezuko have finally cut through the rock after a year of vigorous training. And now they have Urokodaki's permission to participate in Final Selection. Their hair was returned to normal and Urokodaki gave them both masks. "What's with the masks?" Tanjiro asked.

"These are called the Mask of disaster prevention." Urokodaki answered. "They will protect you from being plagued by bad luck. I know that the two of you are incredibly strong, but after many children have died taking this path, I just can't take any more chances."

"Well, they're perfect." Nezuko said. "We'll use them well."

The siblings were ready to Fujikasaneyama. "We're heading out Urokodaki! Please say hello to Sabito, Makomo, and Hikari in our place!"

Urokodaki saw them off, but then felt confused. 'Tanjiro, Nezuko. How do know the names of those three dead children?'

(Mount Fujikasaneyama)

After a full day's travel, Tanjiro and Nezuko finally arrive at the mountain. "What are these flowers?" Nezuko wonders.

"They're Wisteria." Tanjiro answered. "But they shouldn't be blooming in this season."

Once they reach the meeting area, they see many swordsmen around their age. And from three of them, are powerful auras. Two came from a boy with blond hair and a girl with a right ponytail. The third aura comes from another boy with a mohawk and a scar across his face. Soon the participants are attended by a pair of twins.

"Greetings and thank you all for joining the Final Selection tonight." the twins said together. "Within the forest behind us, are demons that were captured by many other Demon Slayers before you. Because from the foot of the mountain to halfway up, Demon repelling Wisteria bloom around the mountain throughout the year. However, beyond this point, there's no Wisteria. Just demon. If you can survive out there for seven full nights, then you pass Final Selection. You are allowed to be in groups of two. If you trust your partner, then they will trust you. And you'll survive. Now let the Final Selection begin."

An hour has already passed, and four demons surrounds Tanjiro and Nezuko, all with a hunger for human flesh. The demons argue who will eat them.

"All of you get away! They're mine!" "No chance! I'm hungry as hell!" "They're my pray!" "Shut up!" "How about we all decide it by whoever kills them first!" "It'll be a feast to savor after so long!"

"We'll each take two!" Nezuko said. "Right!"

Water Breathing: 4th Form

Striking Tide

Nezuko unleashes a water like attack slicing her opponent's heads off.

Sun Breathing: 3rd Form

Raging Sun

Tanjiro sends two horizontal flaming slashes decapitating his foes.

The siblings were surprised to see that their training wasn't wasted. The demons were defeated, and their heads and bodies completely disintegrated into nothing. It was thanks to the blades Urokodaki gave them. Tanjiro and Nezuko pray that the demons rest in peace. 

Suddenly, another swordsman is running in complete fear. "What's going on?" Tanjiro asked.

"There's a mutated kind of demon out here! I was not aware of this!" Behind the scared teen is a demon with hands forming everywhere around his body.