-7-

"TROOPER!"

Anakin looked up just in time to see a khaki cap heading for his face. On instinct, he ducked the blow intended for his head. He knew better than to run. He stood trembling, aware that his reflexes had landed him in trouble. His arms wrapped around his body as he waited for the next strike, feeling self-conscious of the stares of the men around him.

"You didn't listen," the angry voice hissed. The person was directly in front of him, trying to get into his line of his sight, but he kept dodging his gaze. "I ordered you to keep going and you stopped. If this was life or death, you would be DEAD."

Anakin flinched away, expecting another blow. It didn't come.

"Are you listening to me, trooper?" Cody shouted.

"Yes, sir," Anakin mumbled.

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"Yes, sir!"

"Will you do it again?" His voice was still raised, but he wasn't yelling anymore.

"Yes, sir."

"That should be a 'no, sir!'"

"I can't promise that, sir." Anakin looked up defiantly, hands still gripping his arms. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the 212th surrounding him, exchanging glances. "If someone needs help, I will help."

"Then you'll die trying."

"So be it."

Cody's face hardened. "I am your commanding officer, trooper, and I have a responsibility for you. I expect immediate, unquestioned obedience. If I am not obeyed, I reason. If my reasoning is ignored, I punish. And you," he jabbed his cap into Anakin's chest, "are about to experience that. Drop and give me twenty."

Anakin hesitated, tightening his jaw as any respect he had for Cody was fast dissipating. Why were they all the same?

"I said drop and give me twenty!" he roared, and this time Anakin complied.

Dropping to his hands, body stiff in the plank position, he began bending his arms in a series of rapid push-ups. In the fresh air of the outside obstacle courses, Anakin knew he was vulnerable to the prying eyes of everyone in the barracks.

One, two, three ....

The race had finished, and he had come last, seconds behind Fives. Cody had been more than displeased.

Eleven, twelve, thirteen ....

Even so, he had not expected him to resort to violence. Assuming that Cody was the same as his brother had been his shortcoming.

Eighteen, nineteen, twenty ....

Now he was being made the ridicule of the military, the shame of Cody's acceptance, and the disgrace of the Jinn family.

Twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three ....

He was rebellious, headstrong, unwanted, unlov—

"Enough!" Cody exclaimed. "That's enough, trooper."

He stopped, lying flat on his stomach and panting, muscles shaking. His fists balled under his shoulders, teeth gritting, then he pushed himself upright. Facing Cody with a grimness that covered over his shame, he awaited his next punishment.

Cody studied him, brown eyes flicking between the boy's. He clapped him on the shoulder as he walked past. "At ease, trooper. I think that's enough excitement for today."

Anakin's eyes darted to his watch as he jogged to catch up with Cody. "But it's barely two o'clock! You can't call it a day yet."

Cody kept walking, returning to the start of the obstacle course. "I'm not. But you are. And that's 1400 here."