-12-

"Where are you two going?" His mother's voice was soft, amused. Her brown eyes twinkled knowingly as she stood at the backdoor, watching the two boys scrambling onto their bikes.

"We're going out, Mom!" Anakin called, waving over his shoulder.

"And we should be back in time for dinner!" his friend supplied, grinning.

"Have fun, and be careful!"

They sprinted down the street, barely acknowledging her warning as they flew past houses and parked cars and wove between the rows of towering trees. Sunlight filtered through the leaves, making shadowy patterns that danced across the pavement and chased each other around the empty road. The elderly neighbour from across the road — who had to be at least ninety-nine years old — paused his gardening to smile at the pair. The dog in the house beside him barked, wagging his tail in anticipation of the customary pat.

But Anakin had no time to talk to the neighbours or to the dogs; he was on a mission. Nerves chewed on excitement, knotting in his stomach and thrilling his heart. He was ready for this.

Ducking through the abandoned lot at the end of the cul-de-sac, they squeezed their bikes through the rusted fence, leaving behind the quiet backstreets. They edged through the line of trees that hid their secret opening, then broke forth onto the wide expanse of the park. They had been trapped inside for too long; spring was finally here. They could go where they wished, as they pleased.

"Where are we going?" Anakin called to his friend who was pedalling ahead of him. The wind whistled across the flat park, snatching at his words, but his ever-attentive friend heard. Instead of answering, though, he simply glanced back and smiled. It was kind and endearing, but the fiery glint behind his eyes told of awaiting mysteries and pleasure. Anakin shivered in excitement, standing up on his bike and pushing harder to catch up.

They whizzed through the park in no time, disappearing into the forest located on the edge of Coruscant, in the no-man's land between the mega metropolis and the peaceful, earthy country of Kashyyyk. Tall trees with thick trunks rose up around them, peering through the dark green canopy to watch as the wheels of the boys' bikes crunched across the carpet of dead leaves and fallen twigs. Anakin jerked the front of his bike up and pushed it down hard, laughing boyishly at the satisfying crackle from splintering leaves.

"Are we tree-climbing today?" he asked, neck straining as he peered upwards, staring at a trio of birds that took offence at being disturbed. They twittered their disapproval as they took to the wing. The brittle branch they had perched on snapped, falling, falling, falling before landing with a dull thud on the ground. Anakin had never reached those heights before.

"One day," Anakin breathed, "I'm going to see them all. I want to climb every tree from Coruscant to Kashyyyk."

"And one day, you will," his friend assured him, "I'm sure of it. But today isn't that day."

Anakin twitched his head down, a grin forming on his face, somehow shining brighter than the glorious sun. "Where to next, then?"

"Come with me!"

They set off again, racing each other and sprinting through the trees, beyond the forest, and out into the arid conditions and mountainous plains of none other than Geonosis. Anakin slowed, locking his pedals to bring down his speed. "This isn't Republic territory," he called to his friend.

He also slowed, shooting a glance over his shoulder. "Is that a problem?"

"Well ... no. I just don't want to meet Grandad here."