-17-

"Mom?"

She stopped to look at Anakin, her face warming into a smile. "Yes, Ani?"

"Where are you going?" His fingers picked at the edge of the kitchen bench. He looked around for some clue as to her approaching whereabouts.

"I'm going out for a driving lesson." She waved the jangling set of keys in the air.

Anakin smirked. "But you already know how to drive."

"Exactly!" She headed for the front door, but not before kissing Anakin on the forehead. "You're getting too big for this, honey."

"You think I'm tall?" Anakin called out after her. "And be careful, won't you? He hasn't had enough lessons yet to be considered entirely roadworthy!"

"Give him more credit," she scolded light-heartedly.

"I give him too much already!" But he didn't mean it, and he was smiling broadly, even though his mom couldn't see it.

"Love you!" she shouted over her shoulder.

"Love you more!" he shouted louder, just as the door slammed shut. He shrugged. He was sure she had heard him. They wouldn't be gone more than half an hour, anyway. His mom likely wouldn't last any longer than that.

"A whole week?!" Anakin was flabbergasted, any drifting memories of the dream washed away as the white-coated lady informed him of his lot. "I can't stay here for a week!"

"Would you rather be transported back to Coruscant to await your recovery there?" Her clipboard was held gracefully against her chest, her impassive gaze unnerving.

"No, that's worse!" Anakin somehow managed to sound polite. "Why do I have to stay here so long?"

"We need to monitor your concussion." Her voice was soft ... flowing, almost. Like her flowing coat, and unlike her staunch expression. "Though it appears to be mild, we have to ascertain that there has been no brain damage."

"Brain damage?!" Anakin all but spluttered. But the nurse smiled aloofly, then left the room.

Anakin watched her go with a distant disgust that conflicted with his forgiving nature. Were all Mandalorians like this? If so, it was going to be a long stay ....

"Father?" Anakin swung around the doorframe, peering into the lounge. "Father, I'm doing my paper run while Mom's out!"

A grunt sounded from the study, so Anakin took that as approval.

"Work hard, Anakin, and you can do anything," he repeated his mom's words to himself, gathering the bundle of papers into his satchel. "You can do anything you want." He swung the bag around his shoulder and strapped on his bike helmet before exiting the house and hopping onto his waiting cycle. The sun shone brilliantly for a Saturday afternoon, lighting up the Coruscanti suburbs with its warmth and cheer.

Anakin checked the road was clear, then pushed off, humming to himself as he peddled down the street, throwing papers as he did so. The pre-wrapped bundles landed with soft thuds on the front lawns or satisfying smacks on the concrete driveways. One stuck in a hedge, poking out at an odd angle that made Anakin cringe. Those people might not be able to find theirs, but he was certainly a better aim than when he had picked up the job last year. Most of the time they landed where he intended.

The purring of engines and rushing wind from busy cars increased as Anakin turned out of their quiet cul-de-sac. He didn't have to ride for long on this road, but it was faster than the winding backroads he could take to get back on his paper route. Besides, he might see Mom driving this way; if she was testing her trainee driver, sometimes she would make him drive on the busier street.