-9-

Anakin lay on his stomach, his face illuminated by the dim light from his phone's screen. The lights were out in his dorm, shrouding him in a grey-black darkness and cradling the snores of twenty sleeping men in the bunks around him. The thick curtain was drawn over the single window at the end of the room, but white lights occasionally flashed through the crack in the side as the outside spotlight roamed the perimeter. Everything was still, yet a tense feel hung in the air, as though even the stars were holding their breath. Anakin couldn't quite figure out why.

For the fifth time that night, his hand guided him back to his messaging app. He found Rex's name and clicked on it, trembling fingers flying over the keyboard. This was progress. He hadn't made it this far the last four times.

"Hey bud, how's u? Upto much? Hope all is well with u and Luke. And Kitster."

He deleted the text and tried again.

"Hey, how's things? Is Kit in hospital? Or should I not ask ...?"

He deleted it again, then flung his phone down, rubbing his hands over his face. Maybe he shouldn't text Rex. His hand grabbed his phone again, fingers moving to his father's contact name and opening the thread.

"Why aren't you home yet?"

"Worked late. On my way now."

"Tell me next time."

He sighed, his eyes drifting over their latest conversation. Should he text Qui-Gon? It wasn't like he cared for him, was it? The feel of his last text had been so cold, so heartless. But he had wanted to know where Anakin was. If it had been his mother texting, that would have been different. He knew his mom cared for him; his father was not his mother.

He switched his phone off, then dropped it on his bed. He wanted Luke.

He curled up, watching the lights brighten and fade in rhythm. He didn't know what time it was, but it was likely late. Or early. Depending on which day you were counting from. He should get some sleep.

He rolled onto his back, staring at the grey ceiling. The grey melted away to a dull green of endless pastures. Soft grass swayed in a gentle breeze, a thin line trampling it down as a long fence stretched off indeterminately. A ball of white wool jumped over the fence.

One ....

Another one bounded after it.

Two ....

A baby frolicked up, then slammed into the fence, crashing right through it.

Three?

Or did that count as half?

He frowned, concentrating as he rebuilt the fence. Another flock of sheep appeared on the far side. One jumped over it, and so it went on.

Anakin counted up to a thousand before starting again, having stumbled through many iterations of escaping sheep, rogue flocks, and unexpected visitors. His mind betrayed him by placing a certain sausage dog in his fantasies more than once, but as Luke had served as a sheep dog, Anakin had let it slide.

Eventually, his eyes drifted shut, just as the morning sun peeked over the sleeping city ....

"Rise and shine, it's morning time!"

He jumped, managing to stop himself from rolling off his bunk this time. But he had barely closed his eyes! It couldn't be morning yet.

He propped himself up on his elbows, blinking at the soft smirk of none other than Cody. The commander stood next to his bed, holding a watch in his hand. He tapped it and raised an eyebrow before mouthing, "Induction."