-30-

The sun hung low in the sky, burning blood orange across the horizon for as long as it could, stretching out the last strands of light as the two teens finally entered their camp. Soldiers bustled around, switching on lamps, preparing food, and tending the wounded. Crates and military packs were strewn outside the warehouse in a rough semicircle, with guns piled safely in a corner and med supplies scattered across the grass. Cody and Appo leaned over a crate in the middle, discussing the sheet of paper on top.

"Oi, hey!" Fives spoke up from across their left, waving over his head at them. "We'd given you two up for dead!"

"Commander!" Echo echoed, flagging Cody and pointing to the teens. "The kids are back!"

Cody looked up immediately, the flash of a lamp lighting up the panicked relief in his eyes. He rushed over, gripping each of them by one shoulder, bending to their eye level. "Where were you? Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

"We're fine, Cody," Anakin said guiltily, glancing at Ahsoka to see her nodding in agreement. "We got ... side-tracked."

"What happened? Are you sure you're not injured?" He inspected them, frowning in dissatisfaction. "You're bruised and scratched; I'm taking you both to Coric." He guided them towards the medic, keeping his hands on their shoulders. "Tell me what happened."

Anakin sat down on a crate, indicating for Coric to examine Ahsoka first. He wiped his sweaty palms down his pants, feeling the piece of paper tucked into his pocket crumpling. He didn't know how to explain what had happened.

Ahsoka seemed not to suffer the same issue, smiling brightly at Coric and Cody. "We were on track for a good battle, in our places and about to win, when this random guy marches onto the field and gets himself shot."

Anakin squirmed, not quite able to bring himself to supply exactly how said random guy had been shot.

"Then Anakin here," Ahsoka continued with a sharp dig in his ribs that made Coric glare, "decided to go and help him. So we wound up on the battlefield, rescuing a criminal."

"Wait, hold on for one second," Cody interrupted, looking more than just confused. "You went onto a battlefield — while the battle was going — disobeyed direct orders, and rescued a criminal?!"

"Yup," she continued cheerfully, "we rescued Rako Hardeen. Except that —"

"Except that we had to find him help," Anakin blurted before Ahsoka revealed Obi-Wan's identity. "He was injured, obviously, so we took longer, getting him somewhere safe."

"Where?" Cody's frown was turning from concern into something that too closely resembled disappointment.

"This nice lady's house —" Ahsoka babbled on, but Anakin spoke at the same time.

"Somewhere he'd be taken care of. It doesn't matter; we're back now." He still couldn't quite meet Cody's eye.

"Prison, I hope."

"No, it was a nice —" Ahsoka tried again, but Anakin cut her off, shooting her a pleading look.

"It was safe, and he's safe. That's all you need to know." If Coric hadn't been inspecting him, he would have fled.

Cody raised an eyebrow. "That's all I need to know? You're treading across dangerous ground, young man. This is the second time you've run off, and what's worse is that you've taken Ahsoka with you as well. Explain yourself."

Anakin started clenching his right hand, unable to lift his eyes from the ground. He had taken Ahsoka, but this time he had tried to leave her behind. If he'd had more time, he would have insisted she stay. But something told him Cody wouldn't care what his excuses were. "I'm sorry, Commander," he forced through gritted teeth.