-25-

"Kid? Hey, come back .... There you go, that's better. You have to stop doing this, kid; where do you even go?"

Cody's voice slowly became clearer and louder as Anakin forced his way through the haze of the past, swimming back into the present. Soft sunshine fell across his face and warmed his bare arms. A cool wind cradled him, preventing him from overheating. A small hand clasped his. A strong hand grasped his upper arm, while another was placed on his back, helping him to sit up. The grass was scratchy through his thick pants. He blinked until a worried Cody and anxious Ahsoka came into view. Kix, the 501st's medic, knelt beside him, digging through a medpack.

"Welcome back," Cody greeted Anakin cheerfully, though the way his eyes flicked between Anakin's betrayed his concern. "You caused quite the scene."

"Again," Ahsoka blurted , squeezing his hand until it hurt. "You totally collapsed, just in the middle of the camp. Everyone's worried about you."

Anakin glanced around to ascertain that in fact, yes, half of each battalion stood nearby, threw him a passing look, or asked a question of their brother as they watched him. He rubbed his face with sweaty palms. "I'm sorry, Cody, I —"

"Sir," Cody interrupted softly, then upon seeing Anakin's confusion, added, "it's 'I'm sorry, sir.' We're still in wartime, trooper." He sat back on his calves with a sigh. "Is he fit for duty, Kix?"

The medic worked his jaw muscles, glancing from his medkit to Anakin. "I don't want to say yes, looking at the ghostly pallor of his face, but I can see no reason not to clear him. He's good to go."

Cody clasped Anakin's elbows and lifted him to his feet, waiting until he was steady before he showed him the paper in his hand. "An update has just arrived. Direct from Chancellor Palpatine: he tells us he is pleased with our efforts. He expects victory is not far off; Mandalore is soon to be neutral once again. He warns us, however, not to get side-tracked by the sights and scenes of this beautiful land." Cody shot Anakin a quick glance at that, before continuing to read aloud, "The fight for freedom is difficult but rewarding, as the Republic has achieved three successes with the reclamation of Onderon and Kashyyyk, plus positive negotiations with the military-minded yet stubbornly neutral country of Tatooine. He's hinting that we'll be heading there if we do a good enough job here."

Anakin's already pale face paled further, but he nodded grimly. "Whatever he says."

"Good," Cody said briskly, "get on your gear; we'll be talking tactics when you're finished."

In less than ten minutes, Anakin was ready and knee-deep in military plans, discussing with Cody and Appo the sharpest angles for attack, the quickest routes, and the best positions from which to strike. It was all too easy for Anakin to forget the past and his problems.

Except for Maul.

The strange, smug man lived rent-free in Anakin's mind, taunting and teasing him, goading him into action that he might live to regret.

In the black wings of ravens, disturbed by the marching troops and shouting soldiers, he saw his slick onyx hair.

In the long-nozzle rifles, levelled and ready to aim at the encroaching Sith forces, he saw his sharp, thin-bladed katana.

In the eyes of the men looking trustingly to him for orders and guidance, as the golden sunlight reflected in their dilated pupils, he saw those pale yellow orbs, piercing, watching. Always watching.

Even as they worked through the streets of Mandalore, dodged the blasts of tanks, and cornered the clankers, Anakin could barely concentrate. He had had too many near misses, and he knew he needed to get his head in the game, but ....