19 / The Goodbye and the Hello

Cassidy wasn't prepared for Jazz's response to his suggestion.

"Oh, I thought you'd want to come talk to her or something."

"No thanks," she said flatly. "I'm not going anywhere near your house. No offence."

"What, never? You're not even going to come to see me? I make a great cuppa."

"So, you've learned one thing in your life. Well done you. No. I'm not. I haven't been to that house since I was about sixteen. I'm certainly not going now you're being haunted by someone who might blame me for their death."

"Why on Earth would you be to blame?"

"We were close. Besties. What if my comments made her a certain way, like rebellious or something? Or upset her enough to make her walk through People's Park in the middle of the night?"

The People's Park was a large area in the centre of town. It had a swan and duck filled lake, fountains, a band stand, a children's play area and a café that was never open. There were always plenty of visitors, particularly outside of winter. Children would be on roller-skates. Dogs would be running around, wildly catching balls. Families would be cycling through to the swings and slide. It was lovely.

Then the sun went down. The drunks passed out, with empty cans of lager or bottles of vodka to keep them company. Drug addicts met with dealers before injecting their new purchases. Doggers spied on each other's sexual exploits. Perverts flashed any unsuspecting or foolish enough to wander by.

After dark, the People's Park wasn't really a place for people.

There were still some who were unaware of the dangers. There were still those who believed themselves to be invincible. Untouchable. Wanting to walk on the hot coals of danger and come out, hopefully, unscathed.

Was Amy one of them?

Even if she was, Jazz wasn't responsible for any of it. She'd only just thought about her old bestie and the break-up of their friendship. The unfortunate death had happened long after they'd parted ways. There was no way any of it was Jazz's fault.

"So you're so important, so influential, you caused the death of someone years after you last spoke to them. Wow, you're good."

"Piss off," Jazz said, kicking him under the table.

He swore and rubbed his leg. That hurt!

"Well, don't blame yourself for something that can no way be down to you."

"I suppose."

"You suppose right. So, you going to come?"

She shook her head.

"No. I'd rather not. Whether or not it's all real, I don't want to come and be reminded of it. It hasn't concerned me for years, and I don't want it to start to."

'Whether it's all real or not.'

For fuck's sake. Until that point, his sister had him convinced she was on his side. She believed him, he thought. Well, that bonfire had just been pissed on.

"Thanks for that," he said.

"Oh, what now?"

"I thought you, well, believed me."

"Put it this way, Fuck Face. I don't disbelieve you. I guess I can't fully commit, yet."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Cassidy asked angrily. He didn't want to be angry, but couldn't help.it. Family supported each other.

"Hey, chill. I'm not saying you're making it up, don't worry. I'm simply suggesting you might have... I don't know... misinterpreted this Amy thing."

"Fuck that," Cassidy said. He downed the remainder of his drink and stood abruptly. "I should go."