54 / Ouroboros

Cass Cass

Cassidy had no idea how long the words had been there before he saw them. He had no idea how long he, his sister and his nephew had stood, embracing. When they did disengage, he automatically looked at the mirror.

Shit. He should thank her!

"Amy. I.. How do I...?"

Don't.

You don't need to.

It was Jazz's spirit.

She's too strong to go down

Without a fight.

"I can't deny that," he said, smiling at his Jazz.

His sister grinned at him, then looked down at the baby she was holding. The grin faded to become a look of awe and love.

"Thank you," he said.

You're welcome.

"Are you OK? Is he... Is he gone?"

Yes.

And yes.

"Good," Cass said. It left a question, however. "What now? What about you?"

What do you mean?

"What will happen to you? Are you still stuck here? Do you, you know, move on?"

I can go, now.

I think.

"Oh."

What's wrong?

It's fine.

I'm happy.

Now.

"I know. I'm happy for you. For us. I just..." How should he put it? "I'll miss you."

I'll miss you too.

But, there is nothing for me now.

He's gone.

Thanks to you.

"I suppose. I just can't imagine you not being here anymore. The house will be empty. I will be."

Really?

"Yes, really."

He meant it. Amy was such an integral part of his life now, he could feel an abyss forming where she should be.

There is...

Something.

"Oh? What's that? You mean you could stay"

Maybe.

"So, what is it?"

Trust me.

Was it a question, or a statement. Did it matter? The answer was an emphatic yes. Cass nodded.

Touch the mirror.

As much as he did trust Amy, touching the glass had produced devastating effects. Now she wanted him to? She must have seen his reticence.

Trust me.

"I... I do."

He took a breath and held it, then reached out and placed his hand on the glass, letting the breath out slowly as he did so. He contemplated just using his fingertip in the hope he could snatch his hand away if necessary. His hand, the full palm in contract with the mirror, showed Amy his conviction, and him his faith in her, that extended beyond just trust.

As expected, the red liquid, less lipstick ants and more gushing blood, swirled around his hand. There were only about three rotations before it pulled inwards and wrapped around him up to his wrist.

His hand was trapped, he knew, though he refused to try and pull it away.

Trust she'd asked for. He gave it.

There was no pain. Only warmth. Not heat, just... a tender enfolding.

The warmth dissipated, and he had the urge to remove his hand. He pulled it away, but it seemed to be stuck. There was some sort of suction holding him in place.

He pulled harder and, suddenly, he was released.

But, something else was attached to him.

Another hand, holding his.

He pulled back, moving away from the mirror, and the hand became a wrist and an arm and shoulder.

Then the body and legs and head.

As the last piece, the foot, removed itself from the mirror, there was a high pitched sound and the glass shattered, with myriad cracks webbing over it. None of the many shards fell away. They stayed in place, almost as a courtesy.

The figure, still a featureless shadow, raised its arms.

Cassidy, his heart beating wildly, returned the gesture and the two stepped towards each other and embraced. He felt a something, a feeling or emotion, undulate through them both.

He looked down and smiled warmly.

"Hello," he said.

"Hello," said Amy.

This song is one of my favourite Nothing But Thieves tracks, and Conor Mason's voice is epic!

Thank you for sharing Cassidy and Amy's journey with me, where they are, indeed, now free. I hope you have enjoyed reading the story as much as I did writing it. Please check the bonus chapters to see twists in the main book!

I'm now working on Cell, which will be coming very soon, and a werewolf romance (yes, you heard me right)!

All your reads, votes and comments are sincerely appreciated. Have an amazing day, my Sinners!