20 / Not Afraid

Wendy was a sweet, stereotypical 'little old lady.'

Grimsby was a small town, even taking into consideration the way it joined with neighbouring Cleethorpes along a street. Together, they couldn't put much of a footprint on the shoulder of the country. It meant you were always prone to bump into an acquaintance at some point. Sometimes, you'd be pleased to. Sometimes not. In the past, his interactions with Wendy had been nothing but pleasant. She was nice. A little nosey, wanting her share of local gossip. She would always comment on how much he'd grown from when he used to deliver her copy of the Grimsby Observer as a boy. She would always invite him in for a cup of tea. He would always decline.

It wasn't because he wanted to be rude or she smelled a little too 'old.' He didn't mind her questions either, the familiarity in the way she'd ruffle his hair. It was more that she seemed lonely. If he accepted, it would become expected. She'd see him and he'd be inside with the rich tea biscuits, waiting for the kettle to boil and the tea to mash before he had a chance to escape.

Wendy never complained at Cassidy's refusal. She just smiled, nodded, and probably thought 'next time.' On this occasion, he contemplated accepting. Why not? It would give him a reason to stay away from his house for longer. He could talk about nonsense and listen to her stories. There'd be biscuits. Freshly baked scones with lashing of proper butter. Tea brewed in a pot and served in her best cups.

But no. He'd chosen his path when he answered Amy's first message. Going home was his only option. Anything else was an excuse.

"Thank you Wendy," he said, smiling broadly. She deserved a friendly smile and would always return it. "I have to be getting home."

"That Elise has you on a short leash," Wendy said disapprovingly. "You know I'm not keen on her."

"I'm not with Amy anymore," he said.

"Who's Amy?"

Cassidy blinked. Erm... Amy? He didn't say 'Amy,' did he?

"Sorry, I meant Elise. We're not together anymore."

"Well, perhaps that is for the best. Find yourself a girl who makes you happy. I never thought that Elise did."

She did, Cassidy thought. To begin with, at least.

"Maybe this Amy?" Wendy continued expectantly.

"No," he said, trying to keep the grim shadow from his voice. "She's someone I've just met. I'm not interested in her like that."

"Maybe not yet, but don't burn your bridges before they're built."

Cass laughed as genuinely as he could. No, that ain't happening!

"No, if anything, we might be friends. She's..." What was she? "I'm just helping her with some stuff. I've got my own issues to deal with."

"I don't doubt it, young man. You're a good boy."

If only that were the truth.

"Thank you, Wendy. Now, I really have to get off."

"Of course. I'll see you soon."

"See you soon."

They separated, and Cassidy walked back towards the main road. He glanced back at Wendy in case she was doing the same. His hand was raised in preparation to wave farewell. She wasn't looking, though. He saw her talking to another young man he didn't recognise. She reminded him of an older version of his mother. She'd speak to just about anyone, able to strike up conversations with the most random, and sometimes unsavoury, of people.

Then he rounded a corner, and she was out of sight. With her disappearance, a sense of dread began to edge closer to him. He could feel its icy touch easing into his body. Was going home such an ordeal?