35 / The Thickening Silence

Cassidy put his bottle down on the table, not seeing that one half was on the edge of the Ouija board. Its instability could potentially have been attributed to whichever spirit had connected to the board. It would also have reflected the unsteadiness of Cass having seen what his siblings had planned.

"Forget it," he said, angrily.

"What?" asked Jazz. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Do you guys think all this with Amy is just a joke? I thought you took it seriously."

"We do!" said Ethan. "That's why we're doing this."

"These things are just toys. They only work in movies."

"Maybe. Maybe not." Jazz picked up the teardrop planchette. "But you'd say the same about ghosts before you moved in."

"Yeah," added Ethan. "Now it's all been proved. Ghosts are real. Don't you want to find out some more?"

She's not a ghost...!

Cass didn't state the error of their phraseology. He didn't know the reason Amy could deny being a ghost when she was dead. Wasn't that the definition? Let them use whatever words they liked. It was still a stupid idea. If Ouija boards really did what they were supposed to, they'd be essential purchases after the death of a relative or loved one. Everyone would have one. It would be like a phone to the Afterlife, except without the endless social media distractions or selfies. And, instead of hunting for the best deal on messages, minutes and all you can eat data, the only contract you had to sign was with the Devil.

"Some more what?"

"Some more... I don't know. Anything. Something."

"This isn't a game, Ethan."

Woah. Cassidy had used his brother's given name. He was serious!

"I know. We both do. We're not treating it like one. You opened our eyes. Your own too, I'd guess. It means there's more out there." Ethan gestured towards the board. "This gives us the chance to have a look at what it is."

"What if you summon a demon?"

"We'll be careful," Jazz said. "We promise. Right Fishy?"

Ethan nodded emphatically.

"Besides, we've got you here now."

"Me?" Cassidy laughed, his eyes wide. "What the fuck do you think I know? Just cos I've got her haunting my bedroom?"

"No," said Jazz. "Well, I suppose maybe. A bit."

"All I know is, her name is Amy, she's dead but not a ghost, and she gets tired."

"Tired?"

"Yes. Tired. If she talks for too long, she has to go away for a bit."

"Go away where?"

"How the fuck do I know? Kansas? Oz? Wonderland? Purgatory?"

Ethan stepped forward and picked up the bottle Cass had put down. He handed it back to his brother.

"Chill, bro. OK? We know you won't know much. Of course you won't. That's why we want to try this."

Cassidy couldn't help but be tempted. Curious. Afraid, too. He'd never used a Ouija board before. One of his school friends had found one while hunting for the hiding place of his Christmas presents. A group of them had gathered to try it out, but Cassidy had refused. He had to be home, he said. His mum needed him. The dog had eaten his homework. His friends had laughed at him, but then two others pulled out. He didn't know if the others had gone through with their experiment, as it was never mentioned again. Nothing bad could have happened, however. Everyone was fine. Still themselves.