45 / A Life for a Life

Saying something and that something being reality can be completely different things.

In, perhaps, the majority of cases, exaggerations are made. Enhancements. Subversions. The truth is taken on a twisting trail that, by the end of its journey, only vaguely resembles its original state. It sheds facts like the scales of a growing snake, with the underlying creature reinvigorated and ready to convince you it hasn't changed.

But it has.

Cassidy had no actual idea of what he might do to help Amy. Only the idea he needed one. His question regarding trust was more to ascertain if she'd allow him to come up with something. Once she'd said she did trust him, he then had to give her something to trust him for.

In this case, a lie.

"What are you going to do?" she asked him.

What indeed? He didn't know. He needed to trace her father first. That should be straightforward, with search engines and social media tracking almost every aspect of one's life. A few minutes on his phone or laptop should provide results. But, then...?

"I'm going to find him."

"Then what?"

Cass looked at Amy. During their conversation, her image had gained more substance and depth, making it easy for him to forget she was trapped in the glass. He felt he could reach out and touch her cheek. He could stroke the skin. Feel the warmth. Kiss those...

What?

"Then I'll come up with another plan."

He might as well be honest with her. He had nothing beyond that. Jazz and Ethan could help, he was sure. They'd want to, regardless of what they were helping with.

"You know... it's dangerous?"

"I do. You said. I'll be careful."

"You don't know how much, though. He's... He can..."

There was fear in her face. She was trying to hide it, but was failing.

"Amy, don't worry. I promise I will be careful."

"I know. And I know you will. But..."

Amy stopped talking. She was frowning, and deep furrows lined her forehead. She was staring down at the floor and he could tell there was something she wanted to say. If she was going to talk him out of hunting her father down, she'd be unsuccessful. He had to free her.

"Tell me," he said.

She looked up and at him, her gaze intent and intense.

"He can tell things. He always could."

"Tell things? Like what?"

"Like... I don't know. Like if you had something you weren't telling him, or you'd done something you shouldn't have."

"A parent's intuition? That's normal. Kids are crap at hiding things."

"No. It was more than that. And he wasn't my parent. Barely even my step parent."

"I'm sorry," Cass said. "I just meant parents can usually tell these things."

"But he would know before you got home. And it wasn't just me. It was mum too."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. He used to lock her in the wardrobe before me. Before he killed her."

"Shit. I'm sorry. What a monster."

"Yeah, so you need to reconsider. If you go after him, he'll know. If he doesn't already."

"How can he know already?"