31 / Fish Face

Brash.

Ethan would deny, strongly, that he was brash or loud. He'd admit to being opinionated and enjoyed the fact he spoke his mind, though he did his best not to be too blunt or offensive. Sometimes, words would just spill from his mouth, avoiding his limited filter. Once said and heard, there was no retrieval. In those cases, He would make his excuses, which where reasons to him, and hope he'd be forgiven.

It was something his siblings had long become used to. Though Ethan always meant what he said, he didn't always mean how he said it.

Cassidy knew how to respond to his brother.

"Bobby, meet Uncle Fish Face. Fishy, meet Bobby."

"I said hello to him already."

"No, you called him a cute dog as you entered, then you dismissed him because you wanted to 'see the ghost'"

"Well, wouldn't you? I mean, it's a ghost!"

"She's not a ghost," Cass said.

"Oh? You've been speaking to her, then? How can she not be a ghost? She's dead, isn't she? Or have you found out who it was? Or how? Or why?"

"No. I mean yes. I mean, one question at a time!"

"OK, sorry, bro. Have you been talking to her, and why isn't she a ghost?"

"That's two, but yes, and I don't know. She says she's not one."

"Well, does that just mean she is but, like, she doesn't identify as one? Is it like Grandma and Nanna? Nanna's common and Grandma is posh?"

Cass shook his head.

"No. It's not like that at all," he said, not really knowing if it was exactly like that. "She said she's dead, but not a ghost. That's all I know. It's all she knows, too."

"So, it's definitely not someone playing games with you?"

"Definitely not. Amy is real. I promise you."

"I believe you."

"You do?"

"Yes. You wouldn't make this shit up."

"I wouldn't call it 'shit.'"

"No, I'm not either. That's not what I meant. I mean, this isn't you. You don't believe in life after death. You believe in death after death, right?"

"Well... I did."

"Ah, you've changed your mind?"

"Let's just say I've had my mind changed."

"OK. Anyway, who's this little chappie?"

Cassidy wasn't prepared for the swift change in subject and wondered who his brother was referring to. It wasn't until Ethan scratched Bobby under his neck that he realised.

"This is Bobby."

"Make me a cuppa and let me get acquainted with him."

"Come on, then."

Cass led the way and, while he made them both a coffee, he passed the dog over. Ethan was making suitable cute and silly voices, intended to entertain the animal, and they were working.

"He likes you," Cass said, putting a steaming mug down next to the other man.

"What's not to like?"

"Oh, we don't have that long."

"I'd like to say you're hilarious," Ethan said.

"But?"

"But you're not. Anyway, can I put him down?"