𝐈 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐀𝐃

━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎𝑹𝑬𝑩𝑬𝑪𝑪𝑨 𝑴𝑰𝑻𝑪𝑯𝑬𝑳𝑳✈︎

"Ready, aim, fire!"

The sound of gunshots always make me flinch. You'd think I would have gotten used to the sound by now. But every time without fail I nearly jump out of my skin.

The feeling of soft brushes over my knuckles comfort me. I keep my focus on Admiral Kazansky's funeral. But I know it's my mom. Every time they raise the guns she squeezes my hand. It's her way of saying, "Oh for the love of God don't flinch." Which does no help. The loud bang makes me jump, bumping shoulders with Bradley. My face turns red and I whisper an apology. He doesn't budge. He hasn't spoken to me. Not that I expect him to after dropping the "surprise-I-have-been-lying-to-you-for-years-about-my-mother's-baby-daddy-who-is-also-the-man-that-you-blame-for-your-dad's-death" bomb on him.

Dad salutes, tears run down his face as they lay another beloved friend of his six feet into the ground.

***

"Wow." Amelia whispers. "You are in some deep doo doo."

I gaze out at the neighborhood view from my window seat. It was a bright and sunny day. It's on days like these when there's a cool breeze blowing and the temperature isn't too hot that mom leaves all the windows open. This makes the house smell like the ocean and daylilies. "I know."

"But I do agree with him." I snap my head back in her direction. "You should have told him."

"I know." I whisper before looking back outside. "But it's too late now. Besides there's no need in dwelling on the past. Especially on the things that can't be changed."

Amelia moves to sit in front of me on the other side of the couch. "What are you going to do?"

"There's nothing to do. He hates me."

"Bull crap!" She raises her voice making me shush her. "Is the man mad at you? Yes. Does he have a bad haircut? Also yes. Does he still love you after every bad thing you've done? Absolutely!"

"I want to believe you, Mia. I really do."

The roaring sound of a motorcycle engine catches my attention. I hang my head out the window to find Dad. I run down the steps to greet him but it looks like mom beat me to it. I stand by the kitchen window so I can eavesdrop.

"How is she?" He asks.

Mom lets out a heavy sigh. "As good as she can be right now. But what about you?"

He shakes his head. "They let me go."

My heart sinks. I had a feeling this would happen. Iceman has been saving Mav's butt for years after he gets into trouble. Now that he's gone, Dad's got no one.

"What will you do?" Mom whispers.

"Ice is no more. There's nothing I can do." His sad eyes pain me.

"Sounds like you have to find a way back yourself this time."

"Penny... This is it for me. It's over."

"Pete, even if you lost your firefight in mid-air... You keep fighting. You don't just give up." She leans closer to him. "They are your pilots. If anything happens to them- If anything happens to our daughter... you will never forgive yourself and you know it."

"I don't know what to do." He rubs his hands over his face.

She grabs his hand. "But you will find a way. I know you."

"You always do." I call out from the window. The two turn to look at me. Mom nudges her head, telling me to come outside. I hurry out the door.

"I'll let you two talk." She pats my shoulder before going back inside.

An awkward tension fills the air as Dad and I just stare at each other. This is how we've always been after an argument or something serious goes down, we don't address it and we just keep our mouths shut. Which is a rare occurrence for the Mitchell's. Other than being excellent pilots, being mouthy and sarcastically is our only talent.

I walk over and plop myself onto the steps of the front porch.

"I'm sorry about Ice." He frowns, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "I meant to come talk to you at the service but I-" My mouth stands agape as I try to think of what to say. Truth is I left immediately after to avoid conflict with the 'stache.

"It's okay." He holds a hand out. "He's not in misery anymore and you know this whole situation it's probably for the best." He moves his finger in a wrap it up motion. "Me getting fired that is."

"We both know that's a lie." I scoff. "In fact I believe everyone at that facility knows we can't fly this mission without you. As much as Cyclone doesn't want to admit it, your plan is ten times better than whatever can he pull out of his rear end."

He holds back a snicker and shakes his head. "It's not just the mission." I give him a questioning look. He sighs and plops himself beside me. "It's Bradley. I've driven a wedge between the two of you. Not that I'm surprised because of...well you know." I nod. "What I'm trying to say is that I know what it's like to have someone or something ruin a great relationship. And I refuse to be the cause of another falling out for the two of you."

In all my years of living, not once have I ever seen Pete Mitchell be as genuine as he is being right now. To hear and see how much he truly cares is so wonderful.

I don't want to lose Bradley. But I don't want to lose my Dad either. And I refuse to choose between the both of them. Though I don't see it right now, there has to be an outcome where I can keep them both.

"I appreciate what you've said. I do." I take in a deep breath, turning to my Dad. "But we need you at Top Gun. I need you, Dad." His face doesn't show it. But his eyes tell another story. The gears are turning some where in that big dumb head of his.

"What should I do?" He asks.

"You're Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell. Just show up and do something illegal." I shrug making him roll his eyes.

"Give me some time to think on that one, Kiddo." He lightly punches my arm as he stands to leave I suppose.

"I have one more question." He looks back to me. "Why did you pull Bradley's papers?"

He sucks a breath in. "His mother, Carole made me promise that he wouldn't follow in his Daddy's footsteps. But I don't think she realized how self assured and driven her boy is."

"Just like his daddy?" I giggle, then bring my eyes back to him.

"Oh for sure." Dad shakes his head. "When he sent in his application, I panicked. So I did what I knew to do. But I guess that just made him hate me more."

"Why didn't you tell, Bradley?" I inquired.

He sighs. "He already resents me. Why would I have him think of his own mother the same way?"

I nod. "Smart move I suppose."

"I'll see you tomorrow, kiddo." He waves before walking back to his bike. I watch him ride of into the sunset.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

**it's very late so if this sucks that's why😭