Star Gazed

Chapter 22

Star Gazed

(Samuel's Flashback)

I stared up at the autumn night sky in awe, the stars gleamed as bright as usual.

"Sammy have you ever seen so many stars lit up all at once," Gab leaned over my shoulder putting his small frame against me and I could still smell the pop rocks on his breath. We would sneak up to the top of our family's barn and stare out at the night sky late at night when our parents were asleep. I looked at Gab and smiled, he says the same thing every night we watch the stars together and I always said the same. "Yeah they are so wonderful huh, no where else are they the same."
I looked past as far as my eyes would let me, pass the corn field and the woods all the way to the hills of the countryside. I had never been anywhere else but here and to be honest I could go my entire life not knowing anything but here.

My gaze went back to our house and I noticed that the lights were on. Crap, they must have woken up to check on us and found our room empty. I could see it now, mom scolding us for frightening her and dad having us shovel the manure in the morning.

"Come on sport the jig is up, we are so grounded for a month now."

I heard Gab let out a huge sigh," I don't want to pick up cow poopie again."
I heard a crash coming from the house and shuffling like someone was fighting.

We both stopped in our tracks too frightened to move. Something in me told me that we should hide and fast. I grabbed my brother and we climbed through the barn window and hid at the top behind a barrel of hay. "What's happening Sammy, why are we hiding."

"Gab be quiet don't even move," I held his hand to comfort him.

I heard a deep voice yell out where are they, where are you hiding them. Then I heard my mother's voice," Stay away from my sons you monster!"
Shrieks of pain were the last thing I heard before silence.

At this point I was shaking in fear, it was quiet but I knew not to move. My gut feeling told me that something wasn't right. Gab was crying softly, I kept my cool cause knew I had to be strong for him, but I was so scared.

All of a sudden the horses in the stables went crazy kicking and neighing violently, it was like they could sense that something was very wrong. The horses stopped as quickly as they had begun and I could sense that there was someone else in the barn.

Out of curiosity I leaned as far as I could around the hay without being seen, what I saw froze me in place. A figure taller than the post of the barn door was hunched over, it's body was disproportionate with arms so long it's boney sharp fingers could graze the ground.

The darkness covered it so I could only see an outline but I could tell it was not human. It sniffed at the air and breathed out heavily.

It leaned up and let out a blood curdling scream before thin dragon like wings burst from its back and it flew out through the barn window like a gust of wind. Gab grabbed onto me around my waist crying heavily,"what was it doing Sammy?"

I remained silent trying to make sense of it all. That thing what ever it was, I think it was looking for us. I leaned down to Gab and wiped away his tears,"Sport I'm going to go check on ma and pa but I need you to stay here okay."

"Please don't leave me Sammy, I'm scared," he held onto my arm tightly.
"I know you are, but you need to stay here, where it's safe, I promise I'll never leave you alone. We are going to be together no matter what."

I quietly make my way to the house where I hear someone wincing in pain. I make it to the front door which had been smashed in and claw marks slashed through the wood.

I hear my father coughing so I rush in by his side," Pa what happened," I kneel to his side. Debris and shattered glass lie beneath me as I lift his blood soaked head under my palm.

In his final breath he whispered to me," My dear son, the time has come for you and your brother to be the great men I know you will become. All that you need to know is hidden under the floor boards of the barn."

Tears began to form in my eyes," No pa, I can't do this without you, don't go!" A tear slid down my cheek and my dad wiped it away with his shaky blood covered hand," Trust in the Lord my son, have faith and keep your Kid brother safe. No matter what we are in your hearts." He gave his final breath and I broke down into tears. I stood up as the flames of anger fueled my hatred, I vowed to find the murderer of my parents and cut its head off as a trophy. "They will be avenged," I gritted through clenched teeth.

Like.

Comment.

Follow.