Lovely

Chapter 2

~ Lovely ~

I reach for the pill bottle on my nightstand, take out two pills and swallow them dry. I check my phone and scoff, "I'm going to be late," I rush down the main stairway out of my apartment to get to the parking lot.

It's completely deserted out here which makes me a little uneasy. My migraines are getting out of hand, I wince at the sharp pain going through my head. The bright light out here doesn't make it better, but what a beautiful sunny day.

It's usually cold and rainy here in Langley, It's quite a surprise, I hop into my car, crank it and speed off for work.

Shit, I hope I make it in time, last time I was late, mike was up my ass about it.

I work at a bar, it's not the best one in town but let's just say we get a decent stream of customers. I'm a waiter, a mediocre one at that, to be honest I don't even know how I got this job, all I do is stand out behind the dumpster in the back and smoke, and when I do wait somebody they're usually drunk and they tend to be a little too.... friendly.

The dim lighting in the bar makes my migraine go away until I see mike across from me frowning, "here we go," I mutter.

"Where the hell have you been Iza?" He scowls me, staring straight into my eyes. I look away, I've known mike since high school, were really good friends and I know I shouldn't be afraid of him, I'm just kind of ashamed that I disappoint him all the time, I mean he did give me a job when no one else would look in my direction. I look at the ground, fiddling with the ring on my finger, "you were supposed to be here an hour ago to help me set up for the party tonight."

Oh crap I'd totally forgotten about that, I'd been so tired from last night. I bite my lip until it bleeds a little before looking back up at him. "I'm so sorry mike I had another one of my night terrors, I promise it won't happen again," I pled for him to understand. If I were him I would fire my ass on the spot and I wouldn't blame him, I'm a shitty employee.

His face softens and so does his demeanor, I hate when he gives me that look of disappointment. A lump in my throat forms and I can't think of the words to say, I just look at him, I'm disappointed in myself too. "It's fine, now that your here you can go wait the tables while I decorate, and Iza try to be on time from now on."

I let out a sigh of relief, take the hair scrunchy from around my wrist and put my long brown hair into a high ponytail. I look over at the only table with a customer and scoff, it's Frank, the town drunkard. I reluctantly walk over to the table and take out my note pad, "what will you have Frank," I say putting on a fake smile. He slumps over mumbling about something I can't hear then looks up, "give me a shot of whiskey will ya babe," he smacks my ass and smirks.

I roll my eyes and quickly scribble the order on the note pad,"watch it Frank,"

I say nonchalantly. One thing that I love about the meds that I take is that things that would usually piss me off to the point of breaking someone's nose doesn't get to me anymore, I just let crap like that go over my head, the old me wouldn't have been so clement.

I hand him the shot glass and walk off to check on mike in the back room, "do you need any help?" I ask him. He's in midway of blowing up a balloon when he looks up at me, "Frank again," he says breathlessly, I nod.

"He smacked my ass," I'm apathetic about it. "Just go take the trash out to the dumpster then clean up the tables okay," he finishes the balloon and picks up a deflated one.

I clean off the empty tables out in the front, and sweep the floors, I look up and see that Frank is passed out on the table so I skip him. It's too early in the morning for this shit, I step out into the alley lighting my mini and leaning against the dumpster. The stench from the trash covers up the smoke smell effortlessly, I tilt my head while blowing smoke out of my nose and close my eyes.

A flicker of light goes past and I quickly open my eyes, I look around confused. To the left down the alley a fence separates 'The Owl's Nest' which is Mike's bar from the abandoned factory building that went out of business in the 90's. Tweekers and runaways usually go in and out of that place which kind of gave the building a creepy reputation. One night while I was putting the trash out, I could hear screeches and chanting coming from back there. I don't believe in the paranormal or anything but I have to admit that some pretty weird shit goes on in there.