Chapter 5 - Tryouts

"Bearer bonds?" I asked Stiles as the two of us walked into school together. "I mean, I always knew the Hales had money but...$117 million? You're sure he said $117 million?"

Stiles had filled me in on what happened in the vault the other night on our drive to school. My face filled with disbelief when he told me that it was $117 million that had been 'stolen' from Peter. That's a hell of a lot more than I thought they had.

"Yes," said Stiles, waving his hand. "He said it was a heist,"

"Does he know by who?"

"He said he couldn't see much through the gas," said Stiles, the two of us approaching our lockers. "But he said he saw women's shoes,"

"But it wasn't Kate?"

Stiles shook his head. "She left before it happened,"

This was unbelievable. I mean, I kind of want to know who did it just so I can shake their hand. On the contrary, it's likely that whoever stole the money also told Kate about the vault in the first place.

"And you didn't see anyone?" I asked. He and Lydia went into the vault shortly after it happened.

"No,"

We reached our lockers and I leaned back against them, giving a heavy sigh. This doesn't make much sense, and I'm at the point where I need things to make sense for the sake of my sanity.

"Then what woman has such a vendetta against Peter?"

Stiles glanced at me as he spun in his combination. "Did you take the bonds?"

"No!" I said, giving him a look.

He put his hands up in defense. "Just asking,"

I let out a huff of air, looking up at the ceiling as I rested my head back against the lockers. I really thought that we could be done with this. Derek was Derek again, even if his eyes are a different color. Now we have bigger problems, about 117 million problems.

"I've got to get to lacrosse practice," said Stiles. I rolled my head to look at him as he placed a hand on my arm. "See you in Pre Calc?"

I nodded, forcing a smile. He pressed a swift kiss to my cheek, waving as he left down the hallway with his gym bag slung over his shoulder. I gave a small wave back, resting my head back against the lockers once he was out of sight. I seriously need to pull myself together.

➷ ➸ ➹

I was making my way towards my third period Pre Calculus class when I saw Malia step inside the classroom, and dip right back out. I rolled my eyes and gave a heavy sigh, making my way over to her. I grabbed her by the shoulders and lead her back into the classroom.

"I hate math," she said as I guided her to her seat. "It's pointless,"

"It's school," I said, noticing that Stiles and Lydia were already in their seats. "It's important, and math is essential,"

"To what?" She asked, holding her books to her chest as I sat down across from her and in front of Stiles.

"Knowing how much to tip at restaurants," said Stiles, giving her a nod and a wink.

I turned around, giving him a look. Tipping? Really? We're trying to get this girl, with the developed brain of an eight year-old to even remotely understand the concept of solving for x. In order to do that, we need her to see a bigger purpose to it than just tipping.