Chapter 14 - Truth

I led everyone down the stairs and into the basement. A shudder ran underneath my skin as I recalled the last time I had been down here. I glanced over at Stiles, seeing an uncomfortable expression on his face as well. I know that he remembers everything that happened when the Nogitsune was controlling him. He doesn't remember, however, the dark look in his eyes that still haunts me to this day.

"It's along this wall somewhere," I said, pointing to the north. 

The five of us spread out, searching for it. It's been years since I've been int he vault. I shouldn't have even been down there to start, but Cora and I weren't very good at following orders when we were young. We were both too curious for our own good. I really miss her now more than ever. She would have understood.

I noticed Stiles looking behind a tall metal shelf. I came up behind him, seeing the familiar engraving on the wall. I nodded at him when he looked over at me for approval. We each took a side, moving the shelf out of the way. I easily could have done it by myself, but I knew Stiles wanted to help.

"Guys, over here," Stiles called out, the rest of the pack coming over to us.

There was a small circular grate in the middle, placed over a large carving of the triskellion. This was it. This was the entrance to the vault. The only problem, it has to be opened by a Hale in order for it to work.

"It's like the entrance outside," said Stiles. "It only opens with claws. Anyone's claws, right?"

He looked directly at me, and I shook my head. I then looked over at Scott and raised my eyebrows. He needed to ask Malia. He's the alpha, she'll listen to him.

"Um, Malia," he started, turning towards her. "Can you try?"

"Why me?" She asked.

"I don't have control," said Scott, lifting up his hand to show them free of claws. It was a believable excuse.

"Okay, I'll do it," said Malia. I let out a breath and looked between Scott and Stiles. We needed to tell her. She deserves to know.

She walked up to the wall, placing her claws in the holes of the grate. She turned it, the entire wall beginning to move. It slid to the right, creating an opening for us all to walk through. I always remember Cora opening it for me. If only I'd known that I would have had the ability to open it as well.

We all walked inside, the door sliding closed behind us. The place felt smaller than I remembered it. The walls were all made of stone, a few large pillars supporting the ceiling. Rows of shelves were lined throughout the area, all filled with different supernatural knick-knacks. 

My legs went weak underneath me, nearly causing me to fall to the ground before a pair of arms caught me. I looked up to see Stiles holding me, his eyes wide. I stood myself back up, but he still kept his arms around me.

"Emma, you're burning up," he said. 

I'd been going in and out of hot flashes for a while now. My forehead was lined with sweat, and it felt as though I was sitting in a bowl of boiling water. The rash was staying on my hand for longer amount of time. The virus was beginning to break down my wall of healing.

"My body and the virus are battling it out," I said, slightly out of breath. "And I think it's winning,"

"Hey come on," said Stiles. "Let's sit down,"

I let him help me over to a wall, sitting me down against it. He sat down with me, but let go of my hand. I was tired from fighting this thing, so I let my head fall onto his shoulder. It feels like ages since I've done this.