Chapter 8 - Toxic

Liam grunted, digging his claws into the wooden panels beneath him. "The floors, get him off the floors!" Lydia instructed, moving towards him. Before she could get any closer, however, Liam raised up and roared at her with golden eyes and barred fangs. Lydia quickly backed off.

"We need to get him to the boathouse!" Scott said. He and Kira picked Liam up by his shoulders and dragged him outside. 

The moment they were gone Malia leaned over the coffee table, groaning. "Emma," she said.

"Yeah?" I asked.

She turned around and growled at me, her eyes an icy shade of blue and her teeth razor sharp. I looked over at my brother who nodded at me. He grabbed the chains from the coffee table table and wrapped his arm around Malia's shoulders, guiding her downstairs and into the basement. 

Lydia turned to Stiles and I once they were gone. "What are we supposed to do about the people crowding outside the door?"

I glanced from Stiles back to her. "Looks like we're gonna throw a party,"

Lydia gave a heavy groan, but moved to open the door none the less. Stiles and I both stood back. Neither of us have ever really been a fan of large social gatherings, although it seems as though we always get thrown into one. I felt his hand brush mine when we caught glance of just how many people were outside, but I pulled it across my body. I knew he turned to look at me, but I focused on Lydia at the door instead.

"Hey, uh, are we in the right place?" Asked the boy I recognized to be Liam's friend, Mason.

"For the party?" Garrett added, the douche from lacrosse tryouts.

"Absolutely," said Lydia, earning a cheer from the crowd outside. She moved out of the doorway, allowing everyone to bustle inside. She widened her eyes at me when I met them, obviously wanting some help keeping this under control.

"Looks like we're security," said Stiles.

"Great," I muttered.

~~

I've never really been a fan of electronic, but that's what they've been blaring for the past hour. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, but that may be in part to whatever was in the red solo cups they all seemed to be carrying around. I don't know who brought the booze, but I was thankful for it. Watching my peers dance drunkenly was taking my mind off the growling I kept hearing from the basement. However the fact that I can hear it over the blast of the music is a little concerning to me. It made me wish that my liver didn't heal the moment alcohol touched it.

Lydia's been running around like mad to make sure nobody's breaking anything. She hasn't told anyone but me, but they just put the lake house on the market and they need it in perfect condition if they want to get anything decent for it. Turns out Eric and I aren't the only ones staring into the deep holes of our bank account. 

I watched Mason push through the crowd of people dancing in the middle of the sitting room from the base of the stairs. It's been my job to make sure everyone stays down here. He was looking around frantically, and I could hear his heart beating at an unsteady pace. He must be searching for Liam. 

From the corner of my eye I saw a sophomore boy leading a freshman girl up the stairs by the hand. I quickly stepped in front of them, cocking an eyebrow and putting up a hand. "Upstairs is off limits. Take it outside,"I said. The boy gave me a dirty look while a blush appeared on the girl's cheeks. "Do I look like I'm kidding?"