Chapter 13 - Blue

"So the money is from the deadpool?" Eric asked. The two of us sat at the kitchen table, a copy of the third section of the list between us.

"Brittany's name is on there with $250,000 next to it," I said. "I killed her and the same amount shows up in our bank account. It still doesn't make much sense, but it's the only explanation I can think of,"

"Then how long has this thing been out there?"

"That's the part that doesn't add up," I told him. "What happened with Brittany was almost six months ago. All of these other assassins didn't show up until recently. There's no way it's been out that long,"

"So why now?"

I raised my eyebrows at him. That's exactly what we need to figure out. This "Benefactor" is running the show, and we're its puppets. But I'm done playing games. I'm going to figure out who's doing this, and I'm going to end them.

Whoever it is, they know something about me, about my past. They have to. How else would they have known that Peter was my father? Lydia couldn't give me an exact answer when I asked if my mother was really dead, so how would they know if she really is still alive? And if she is alive, then I have a lot more questions that need answers.

"And why is Mom on the list?" I asked.

"I don't know, Em," said Eric, shaking his head.

"What the hell is happening, Eric?" I said, exasperated. "I mean, honestly? First Kate comes back from the dead to turn Derek into a teenager again and now there's a deadpool with all of our freaking names on it? With Mom's freaking name on it?"

Eric shook his head again, letting it hang. We were both at a loss. Nothing makes sense anymore. I never have any time to actually sit down and try to figure things out. My life is a wheel constantly in motion, rolling me into the worst possible situations.

"Look, you should get some sleep," said my brother. "You've got the PSATs tomorrow. You've got to pretend to be a normal teenager for at least a day,"

"How the hell am I supposed to focus on some test when our supposedly deceased mother is on a hit list of supernatural creatures?" I stood up, the legs of the chair squeaking against the wood floor as I pushed it back. I paced in front of the table, holding a hand to my head.

There was no way I was going to do well on this test tomorrow. I should have just taken it early like Lydia. Then again, I've been a part of this mess longer than she has. So much has happened, I'm just exhausted. I'm tired of always having to be on my toes, of never knowing what might be lurking around the corner. I'm tired of feeling like I always mess things up.

"Em, hey," said Eric, standing up and grabbing me by the arms. "You can do this. Just take your test and I'll see what I can figure out. Okay?"

I nodded my head, feeling my bottom lip begin to quiver. I turned my head away from Eric; I didn't want him to see me break down like this. It just all began to hit me at once.

"Am I making the right decisions? In breaking up with Stiles and reaching out to Argent?" I asked him, my throat tight and my voice fragile. "Because it feels like I'm making one mistake after the other,"

"That answer is up to you, Em," said Eric. "I know you love Stiles, but I get why you ended things with him. And, personally, I think you're becoming a Grade A Badass by working with Argent and I kinda love it,"

I gave a soft laugh, forcing the corners of my mouth into a smile. "Thanks, Eric,"

He smiled back at me. "Now, get to sleep. You have a big day tomorrow!