Chapter Two: Dinner

To my great relief, my sunburn wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.   I was now embarking on the challenge of digging my aloe lotion from the depths of my suitcase.  It didn't seem to want to make an appearance.

“You know if you actually unpacked you would probably find it?” Maggie was sitting on the blue-sheeted bed behind me.  She was combing her wet hair and looking amused.  I freed my arms from the tangle of clothes so I could turn and give her a look.  She just laughed.

The hotel was actually pretty decent for how cheap we had gotten the room.  We had a bed and a pull out couch, plus a walk in shower which (to my excitement) provided us with ice cold water.  Maggie hadn't been quite as thrilled by the chilly surprise, but refused to leave the room until bathed. 

“Have you called home yet?” I asked my friend, turning back to the mess ahead of me.

“Yeah, while you were taking a shower.  Your dad wants you to call before we go to bed tonight.” I nodded and cringed.   I'd promised him that I would call this morning, but it had totally slipped my mind.  I made a mental note to call him on our way to dinner.

I finally found and applied the lotion, sighing as the aloe cooled my stinging nose and cheeks.  I silently vowed never to leave my sunscreen at home again.  After rubbing the lotion in, I gave myself a quick look-over in the mirror.   My brown hair was still moist, but luckily the frizz had taken a break.  I quickly ran a comb through it and tugged nervously on my thin-strapped pink top.  My shoulders had taken some of the burn, and anything thicker stung like heck. 

For some reason I was tempted to ask to borrow some of Maggie's makeup.  Which was thoroughly out of character.  I tried to shake away the thought, but it just came back even stronger.  What was my problem?  I never wore makeup.  It wasn't even worth it.  There was no one to impress, anyway.

Colton, though.

Nat, a guy like that already has a girlfriend.  No doubt.  I thought to myself.  Give it up.  He's nice.  He's a friend.

“Nat it's quarter till.  Let's get going.” Maggie peeked around the bathroom door and eyed me suspiciously.

“Oh. Right.” I grabbed the key card from the sink where I'd set it and started to exit the bathroom.

“Someone is preoccupied.” My friend was blocking the door, giving me a look.

“Just tired.” I said, trying to go around her.  She raised an eyebrow.

“Right.  Well lets go.”

I grabbed my wallet from the bedside table and slipped on my burlap Toms on the way out.  The elevator was just a few doors to the left of our room, and Maggie hit the down button.  It beeped and the doors opened.

Suddenly I remembered my dad. “Can I borrow your phone?” I asked Maggie.  She handed it to me and I dialed the familiar number.

I was still talking to him as we approached Sky and Colton standing at the big oak.

“Everything is fine.  It's just a little sunburn.” he wasn't about to let the sunburn go. “I was stupid to leave it at home.  But I used my lotion-”

Colton was giving me an amused look and I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Dad, we're getting ready to go to dinner.  I'm sorry I forgot to call this morning.”

More complaining.

“Tell him you'll call him before bed.” Maggie offered distractedly, “That works for me.”  I ignored her.