02

tartaglia has always been placed on the battlefield or was out investigating something for the tsaritsa outside snezhnaya. he wanted more of the action, rather than his colleagues who mostly stayed at the palace doing god knows what. he couldn't care less if it was a random errand, all he wanted was to get his body moving fearing it would rust if he were to take a slight rest.

so imagine his surprise when he was suddenly placed under some "research" in the laboratory dottore was using. the male couldn't disobey either, since this was under the tsaritsa's command.

he was assigned to help the two other harbingers who were in charge of the project; the knave and the doctor.

"are you certain that you have never met that girl before, tartaglia?" arlecchino tried to pry once more. "clearly, it seemed like you two were well acquainted given that she knew what your real name was."

"like i said, and i mean it, i have no idea who she is nor have i ever met her before." childe pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling worn out by their endless bickering. "are you sure she isn't some esper or something? i mean how did you even know she was a baobhan sith to begin with? i'm pretty sure she hasn't talked before she spoke my name."

"i don't know how i'll drill this into that thing you call a brain tartaglia, but our soldiers' death were enough evidence to prove that she isn't human." dottore chimed in, sounding more irritated than he was a minute ago. 

"and before you say anything, no she isn't a vampire either. vampires do not exist." he added.

"and those siths, do?" childe scoffed. "look, all i'm saying is that i'm just surprised as you are when she said my name. i don't exactly go on telling people my real name, do i?"

"alright, fine, let's say you don't know her. but she clearly knows who you are." the woman shook her head, closing her eyes. "you need to go back in there and ask her yourself, childe."

"what?" he furrowed his brows. "that woman could kill me."

"sure, and you can't kill her because she's vital to this project, but it'd be worth a try talking to her."

"...you're willing to sacrifice me just so i can talk to her?"

"we could always replace the 11th." she shrugged. "not like she has any plans on killing you either. didn't you see her there? it's like– her eyes shifted when she saw you."

"...shifted?"

"you'll know when you see it again." arlecchino sighed and turned her gaze on dottore. "let them have the room for themselves, we'll need to watch from the surveillance."

"wait wait, you're making me go in there alone?" 

"it appears that she's taken a liking to you, tartaglia. you should be grateful." dottore flashes him an innocent smile. it almost sent chills down childe's spine. "she doesn't speak nor act when anyone else is around, so it's up to you."

"but–"

"oh, and do try your best not to get eaten alive."

°

and so there he was, going back to the laboratory he previously walked out of. he can already see your figure sitting down with the blanket still wrapped around you. however, you didn't hide your face this time.

he sees you immediately standing up the moment you saw him walk in, smiling at the sight. "ajax."

"don't call me that." he said, he sees your smile drop. "it's tartaglia."

"...tartaglia."

"right, enough of the small talk, tell me how you know me." he went straight to the point, wanting nothing else but for it to be done.