10

"childe." 

he opened his eyes, expecting to still be surrounded by water, but he wasn't. the harbinger was now in a room filled with books as he sat in front of a table next to... someone.

again, he couldn't see a face like before. even though he squinted his eyes– rubbing them to check if the problem had been with his vision the entire time– there was no use.

"hey." the figure tilts its head. "are you even listening?"

"w-what?" he blinks.

"you gotta study for the exam, that's why i freed up my schedule in the council didn't i?" they sighed. "honestly, how do you manage to keep up with your grades even though you don't study?"

study? him? and– an exam? this dream was the weirdest one yet.

"i'm not sure i follow..." he said. "uhm, what's your name?"

"you're asking the vice president's name?" the figure scoffed. "is this some sort of distraction so i won't tutor you anymore?"

"no, i–"

"shit, i forgot [------] needs me for a meeting." they looked up to check the clock that was hanging on the way. childe finally knew where they were at, it was some form of a library. "i'll message you after school."

"hey wait!" childe extended his arm to grab this person's wrist, but then they vanished. then all of his surroundings began to fade, he was left with a black void that enveloped him completely.

"childe?" a familiar voice called out him, it echoed in the small space he was in.

he didn't know what to do anymore, just what the hell was going on? did the siren actually end up devouring him and now he was in the afterlife? 

"wake up, please..."

the voice grew louder and louder, then he realized.

"[Y/N]...?"

°

you shook the man's shoulder after successfully getting him out of the water, pumping his chest then blowing air into his mouth to get the water out of his body.

"hey, t-this... this isn't funny, dipshit." you stammered, hands shaking as you continued to pump his chest.

childe's lips had gone blue, body freezing cold; you could've sworn he was as cold as ice at one point. 

you couldn't begin to express how you felt the moment you realized he had been pulled underwater by some creature. 

what if you were a few seconds late? what if you actually followed his stupid orders and didn't come? he could've been eaten by that disgusting siren.

"god, you're..." tears started to spill from your eyes, breathing heavily. "don't fucking do this to me. please, not again..."

you failed, didn't you? he didn't look like he was going to wake up, he almost looked... god, you didn't even want to think about it.

blood was also seeping out of his head, most likely from being hit by something. you quickly ripped a part of your sleeves, tying it to his head to stop the bleeding.

"wake up, damn it." you say, wiping your tears away. but they just wouldn't stop.

"fate is inevitable, [Y/N]." scaramouche's voice echoed in your head.

"no, no he's not... he's... he's alive." you murmured. you say that but your limbs started to grow weak, you felt like throwing up again.

if only you hadn't pulled that stunt yesterday then childe would've let you come with him. if only you set aside your stupid thoughts then you wouldn't have been such a mess, childe wouldn't have noticed either.