Chapter 4: Run

I feel myself slowly coming to, a few minutes after getting "the ring" for the first time. I truly never thought that my parents would go through with it. I get up, noticing my face is in agony. I put some ointment on it for pain relief and to reduce the swelling. As I stare at my beaten-down reflection, it makes me sad. I almost don't recognize myself. I never thought that I'd become this battered. The girl in my mirror looks more like a lost puppy from a shelter, desperate to be rescued, to be saved.

I then make the impulsive decision that I should've made years ago. I need to run away. There's nothing left for me now, and I need to search for a better life than this. Today's events proved to me that I don't need anyone, except myself.

I dump my suitcase on the floor, emptying it of the clothes and toiletries that I had originally packed for my trip. I change into a new outfit of black leggings, a T-shirt, a hoodie, a windbreaker and some sneakers. I then empty my backpack, to pack some minimal toiletries, granola bars, my water bottle and an extra set of clothes in the main pouch. In the smaller pockets I pack my wallet, first aid kit, pocket knife and flashlight, with a change of batteries that I found lying around my room.

My heart is racing as I prepare for this, as a feeling of excitement, mixed with nausea, rushes over me. I put on some makeup over my eye wound, which hurts badly even to the slightest touch. After a minute of painful application, flinching through, I'm all covered up.

I grab my phone off my dresser and my backpack off the floor as I leave my bedroom for what I hope is to be the last time. I can't go through the hall, so I have to sneak out through my window. I lock my door, before taking one last glance around the room. The map on my wall catches my eye. I don't care where I end up, as long as it's out of here, I tell myself.

My window is already open from the last time I snuck through it. Bracing myself, I throw my bag out first, before jumping out and landing more steadily. I get up from the bushes and dust myself off, before looking more closely at my broken childhood house. I turn away, before quickly taking one last glance at the place I've suffered in for years. Taking a deep breath, I put my backpack on and begin walking down my street.

|||

I've been walking for about ten minutes, until I begin heading through town. I see my reflection in a window, before realizing that I should change my appearance in order to run away successfully. I can't risk anybody recognizing me, no matter how many people would pretend that I'm invisible.

I head to the dollar store, looking for hair dye. After looking through several isles, I find a cheap bottle of brown hairspray. Perfect. Without anyone seeing me, I sneak it in my backpack and leave the dollar store.

I go to a dark alley down the street and turn on my phone. Using it as a mirror, I begin to spray my blonde hair, turning it a chestnut brown colour. I spray for several minutes, slightly coughing at the smell and pushing through the increasing neck pain. Using my flashlight and my camera for help, after fifteen minutes, I've gotten every part of my hair.

I don't know where to go next, but I have one last stop I want to make. The Stoneycreek Diner closes at nine o'clock, and I want to have my last meal in Kirkley be from there. It's a long walk, and according to my watch, I only have about an hour to get there.

It's a strange feeling to walk around in a place where you've felt like you've never belonged, or that nobody would notice if you weren't there. Somehow, you start to feel sentimental as soon as you know it's your last time. Those thoughts quickly escape my mind, as I remain focused on my objective. After this meal, I hope to get on the bus and stay for hours until I'm somewhere completely new.