Chapter 6: Interrogation

July 2018

As I open my eyes again, my head and neck hurt, while my back is stiff. The ground around me smells fresh and the air is humid. The sunlight is starting to beam through the branches of the trees in small holes. It's beautiful out here, but freezing.

My face and hands, along with any other parts of exposed skin, are colder than the rest of my body. I feel ill from the chill of sleeping outside. I wish that these kids would either guide me to civilization, or let me sleep in the house, at least for a little while.

Bugs are beginning to swarm me again, as I aggressively start to swat them away. They are ruthless, flying around my face and exposed skin and biting me. Rising to my feet, I start to smack the flies harder with more control. I eventually start to feel them disappearing and I can lower my arms.

I feel my hair, which is crusty from the brown hairspray. All that needs is a rinse and I'll be blonde again. However, I can't take that chance yet, in case I have to go back into the world. My clothes are dirty and I notice my skin breaking out even more than usual, as my finger grazes the little pimple bumps forming on my face. My eye is less swollen, but still hurts when I place my hand on it. Feeling a sudden itchiness, I roll up my sleeves and my leggings, to reveal a chicken pox-like series of red bumps across my body. I scratch my every limb for a few moments, in any attempt to relieve the irritation. These bugs are ruthless.

I'm unhappy with my appearance at the moment, as the group must think I look disgusting. However, there's not much that I can do in these circumstances. Beauty was also not my top priority, outside of these woods.

Suddenly, I look over at the house at the thud that hit. It's Will. He leaves the house, in an old-looking large flannel with his hair slightly messy. He has the same rifle in his hand from yesterday. When he carries it, he looks tough again, like when I first met him. I watch him leave the porch and walk over to the waterfall nearby, paying me no attention. He splashes water on his face and adjusts his hair with the water. Afterwards, he continues on.

    Chuck and Alexa leave the house, both of them walking towards me.

"Get up," says Alexa coldly.

"What for?", I ask.

"Well, for someone who wants us to trust her, she's not off to a great start," she scoffs.

"Alright, cool down Alexa," adds Chuck, opening his hands at her. "We're going to be asking you some questions today. We need to know more about you if you're going to be around here."

"Okay," I reply nervously. I'm not used to opening up to people, and yesterday's interactions put me way out of my comfort zone. "Here, these are Will's. He should have them back. I'll be okay without them."

    "Thanks," says Chuck, taking them back. "Come on, we'll show you around." I get up, dusting off my leggings, and follow Chuck and Alexa back to the house. As they step up on the porch to enter through their front door, I stop.

"Am I allowed in?", I ask. Alexa looks slightly impatient.

"Yeah, come on in," she replies, annoyed. I step up the porch in silence and enter into the mysterious house for the first time.

It's quite large for a house that's so far out in the middle of nowhere. It has one story, but it seems to be able to comfortably fit five people. There's a small living room with an old couch and a kitchen across the room. There are a few doors that lead to what must be bedrooms. I'm stunned as I gaze around the room. This is incredible. Hayden comes out of one of the rooms.

"Oh, hi," he says as he passes.

"Hi," I reply. I continue to look around, amazed.

"I know it's not much, but it makes do for us," says Evie. She must've misinterpreted my reaction.