Chapter 7: Adapting

I've been living out in these woods for several days now, trying to adjust to my environment. Each day gets a little easier, to the point where the life I was living recently is starting to feel like an eternity ago. Unfortunately, I still have my swollen eye as a reminder.

    One of my favourite spots to sit out here has been at the top of the cliff. You get a great view of the sunrise from there, as well as the house and fire pit. I don't get much sleep right now, so it's a nice place for me to go and not be bothered.

    I've been sitting out by the cliff for a while now, as I observe the crackling fire. I watch as Hayden begins to chop some wood. He bends down and picks up the pile, carrying it towards the fire. He then loses grip on one of the logs and tries to pick it up again. I notice him shaking his hand in pain.

    Hayden then picks up the fallen log in frustration, before throwing it as far as he can. It hits several trees loudly, before hitting the ground with a snap.

    I remain frozen. I would never have expected that kind of thing from Hayden. His outburst reminds me of being back at my old house, and being around my parents. My father would throw a fit over simple things, and I'm seeing him through this innocent teenager boy. Well, even if he weren't that innocent, I could almost guarantee that he'd be a better person than either of my parents.

    "What happened?", asks Alexa casually, not even looking up from the fire.

    "Splinter," replies Hayden. "A pretty bad one too. I don't know how I'll get it out."

    "Here, I'll try and get it," says Alexa. "I'll be right back." She gets up and enters the house. Hayden sits and observes his finger as he mutters under his breath about it.

    Alexa comes back and helps him. She spends several minutes poking and prodding with a set of tweezers, before eventually breaking it out.

    "There you go, you're all good," she says.

    "Thanks," he smiles. As Alexa gets up to put away her tweezers, I notice Hayden still looking at his hand. He must still be in pain.

    I know I have ointment that could help him if he wanted it. At the same time, I almost feel nervous to get up and suggest it. Come on Candice, don't be ridiculous. He's not one of your parents. I swallow hard before getting up and walking over to Hayden.

    "Is your finger any better?", I ask him.

    "Sort of. Alexa really tore it open though," he laughs.

    "I have something for that, I'll go get it," I tell him.

    "Thanks," I hear him say. I don't look back as I hurry in to find the ointment. As I find it, I walk back to the campfire. "Here, put this on. It'll help. If you need it again, let me know." I hear myself speaking rapidly. I give it to Hayden and quickly walk away.

    I find Alexa coming out of the house again, as I make my way in, almost colliding into her.

    "Whoa, what's up with you?", she asks, eyeing me up and down. I look away from her.

    "Nothing, it's just––" I begin, unsure of how to end my train of thought. I subconsciously run a hand through my dry, sprayed hair. "––I just.....need to wash my hair. It's been brown for the past few days. Where can I do that?"

    "Oh good, I thought that was your real hair at first," she jokes. "There's a river not far from here. Walk out the front door and hang left. It's far enough from here, so nobody will bother you," she says blankly.

    "Okay, thanks," I reply, before turning around.

    "Wait!", calls Alexa.

    "What is it?" She walks to her bedroom for a moment. I hear her rummaging for a few seconds, before she reappears in the main entrance.