Chapter 20: The Invasion

In the last two weeks, the weather has started to warm slightly, as we're reaching the end of the month––at least, I think we're at the end of the month. I now keep my watch in my dresser entirely, rather than only sometimes. I don't need to keep track of time anymore.

    Will and Chuck are slowly warming up to each other again––at least, the complaining has stopped. I'm hoping that things will finally calm down around here for a while. Ironically, I initially thought that things would often get boring when I first came here. Little did I realize how wrong I was.

    I open the window in my bedroom, careful not to wake Will lying beside me. It's definitely warm in here. I want to get outside as soon as I can. It's nearly calling me to be out there.

Sure enough, this morning is warmer than usual. The sun is out, yet there's a slight chill in the air––another type of weather I'd happen to love. Our winter is coming to an end, and is just beginning to melt away into spring. The birds are chirping quietly, echoing across our near-deserted forest. I'd wish to hear nothing else.

I take a moment to admire the snow on top of the tree branches above, almost creating a soft white dome over my head. The ground is blanketed in white, while crystalizing in the sun and melting. I then get the urge to lie in it. The best part about being out here, is you can do whatever you want. With that in mind, I practically let myself fall into the snow, and collapse into the white, frozen cloud. Snowflakes erupt from the ground like dust as I crumble into it.

The sky is looking rather beautiful. I can't remember the last time I've done something like this. I want to get lost in it for a moment, and take a moment of freedom just for myself. Hearing the birds reminds me of the crosswalk from my old town, which initially called me here. I smile, remembering that I made it to where I wanted to be all along. Those countless nights staring at a map in my old bedroom wall actually amounted to something. Despite our recent struggles, I found the freedom I wanted, didn't I?

My eyes don't seem to want to lower and look back upon the house and environment I'm actually in. I know though that if I don't look down, I'll simply lie here forever. Forcing my eyes down, I feel a slight bit of disappointment, which confuses me. Why would I feel that? I'm exactly where I want to be. I'm safe out here. The feeling quickly flees, as I shake it off.

|||

As the morning progresses, everyone else starts to wake up as well. I've realized that it's my turn to hunt. I should start on that early, to make the most of the day.

"I'm heading off," I say. I grab a bow and arrow from where Alexa is practicing, being careful to dodge her aim. "Don't hit me!", I jokingly say. Alexa laughs and readies her bow, as if she were going to strike.

I begin my walk into the woods, heading in the direction of civilization. Sometimes, we get lucky, and animals are around at this time. More animals are starting to show themselves again as the weather warms up, so we try to hunt on warmer days.

I make my way up the hill, before realizing that I don't know how long I've been walking. It's only been a few minutes, I think. In the faint distance, I start to see something. A few creatures are approaching from very far away. Maybe some deer have shown up. Hopefully I have enough arrows.

My heart begins to pound as I run towards them. I begin to get a more clear image of the creatures approaching, noticing their shape different from a deer's. I stop in my tracks and crouch––I don't recognize the shape, so I can't go forward.

    I then realize that hiding was the right thing to do––after all, I've been doing it from this species for over half a year. There are people coming.