Bonfire

Susannah came back to the dinner table with two envelopes.

" These are for you girls," Susannah said with a smile on her face. I could tell that whatever this letter is about, is very important to Susannah.

" So this is why you wanted to go to the country club before?" Our mom said and Susannah nodded.

Steven looked curious at the envelopes Susannah had just handed Belly and me. But before he could ask what it that Susannah said what was it.

" I got invitations for girls to be debutantes," Susannah said with excitement. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. But I didn't wanna disappoint Susannah. She's like a mother to me, Steven and Belly.

" Isn't this where the girls wear white dresses and dance with partners?" Belly asked.

Susannah explained to us what the debutante is and its history. Our mom didn't seem to like this debutante thing. The boys also made fun of this. They made fun of me and Belly. That this wasn't our thing and how "immature" we are. Steven even brought Mochi's funeral and Belly seemed kinda upset. She's still not over the fact that Mochi died a few months ago. Belly and I looked at each other with an unsure look. We said we will think about it but I'm not sure that I'm gonna do it. I wouldn't even have a partner for the dance.

When we were done eating, Belly and I made our way to our room to change into our swimsuits. Of course, Belly wore a swimsuit that looked like she was trying out for the swimming team. And I just wore a navy pink bikini that I found on the top of my suitcase. We hadn't unpacked yet because before dinner we had gone swimming with Jeremiah. As we were getting ready for our night swim, we heard Steven and Jeremiah singing " As the World Caves In" while they were getting ready for the first bonfire of the summer. My heart melted while I heard them sing. Mostly Jeremiah. Maybe he couldn't be a singer with this voice, but something about him made the song even better.

We went to the pool and there was also Conrad. He was sitting by the edge of the pool. He was smoking. Belly started saying how Conrad had said that smoking is bad and stuff like that in the past. I ignored them and continued swimming. A bit after that Steven and Jeremiah came outside to inform Conrad that they are leaving.

When they left I asked Belly what she and Conrad talked about when I wasn't paying attention to them. She said everything that they said.

" Then, I said to him that I think he should quit smoking and he was like: what will you give me if I do? And after that, he smirked at me," Belly said and I was speechless. If someone had said this to me it would make me horny.

" And what did you say?" I had hopes that she would have answered better than I thought. But never mind. She said just" I think you should quit for yourself".

" You should have answered something more dangerous. Like something flirty," I said to Belly. She doesn't know how to flirt. Even tho we were twins I was always called the "pretty" one. Belly and I are almost identical. How could I be prettier than her?

We got out of the water and went inside. We walked through the kitchen. Mom and Susannah were there.

" Brownies are almost ready," Mom said happily. I love brownies. I remember when we were younger Jeremiah and I used to "steal" brownies to eat them later when we would watch a movie together.

I wanted to stay and help the mothers with the brownies but Belly had other plans I guess. She said she was tired and she would go to bed.

" I will stay," I said. " Just let me take a shower first," I told them as I made my way upstairs.

When I got out of the shower I saw Belly getting ready.

" Are you planning to go to the bonfire?" I looked at her with a confused look. Belly is an introverted person. She never goes to parties, nor makes new friends. She likes to spend her time on her own or with me and Taylor. So I was kinda surprised she wanted to go. And I didn't wanna let her go alone, so I went downstairs and I told the moms that I was tired too.

When I went back to our room I dressed up and sneaked out with Belly. We walked a lot when we finally saw the beach. The gas station guy came over to us and started talking to Belly. She was uncomfortable. I could see that. Before I tell this creep to back off, Belly saw Steven and waved at him. He was angry. Like he didn't want us here.

" Wtf are you doing here? And what are you wearing?" He was more worried for Belly because she wasn't used to this stuff.

" It's Taylor's. And we just came here to have fun. Chill," But before I could finish my sentence he had grabbed Belly. They got into a small fight and my twin sister fell to the ground. She didn't like what she saw. I didn't like what she saw. She saw Conrad kissing another girl. But I didn't wanna deal with drama right now. I wanted to chill and have fun. I grabbed a beer. I was walking in case I find someone I know when I saw Jeremiah kissing a girl. I felt my heart sink and then it was the time I knew that my feelings for him came back. I was upset and angry. I thought there was a chance that he might liked me but no. He was flirting with Belly before and now he was kissing another girl. I wanted to forget about that by grabbing another beer. And then another one. Before I could grab my fourth beer someone took the can from my hands. It was Jeremiah.

" Give me my beer back," I said to him like it was an order.

" No. You've already drunk three cans. I can't let you drink more. I should have stopped you when you were about to grab the second beer," At first he sounded angry with me, but then he sounded disappointed? Not with me. But with himself. But why? However, I was angry at him as the scene of him kissing the blonde girl kept replaying in my mind. The alcohol didn't help too.

" Stop carrying about me and go f*ck your blonde b*tch," I said to him kinda angrily. He wanted to say something but before he could speak we heard police sirens.