Birthday

Belly and I always spent our birthday here, in Cousins. I remember when we learned what infinity was. Mom had made her customary Mickey pancakes and everyone was singing the happy birthday song for Belly and me. After we blew out the candles, Conrad drew with the maple syrup the infinity symbol on top of  Belly's pancakes. We obviously didn't know what it meant, so Conrad explained it to us. I was childishly jealous because he had not drawn it to me. Jeremiah saw that I was a bit upset, so he took the syrup and drew a heart on top of my pancakes. I thanked him and I kissed him on the cheek. That's probably one of my favorite memories ever.

I went downstairs and Belly was already there.

" Belly isn't hungry. Are you gonna eat pancakes or should you open the gifts?" Susannah asked.

" Let's open the gifts. I'm not very hungry either." I didn't wanna make Belly wait for her presents. And I also didn't want to eat alone so I just skipped breakfast. Belly and I sat on the big could while the mothers sat on the small one. The boys sat down on the floor.

" Open mine first," Mom said while handing Belly and me our gifts. We unfold it and we realize it was one of our favorite poems book.

" I tried to find the first edition for you from a rare book dealer. But, I didn't find it, so I just got each of you a copy of it."

After Belly and I thanked our mother, she told us to turn to the bookmarked page.

" It's your favorite poem," Mom said to us while we were opening the books.

" I remember Susannah teaching us to recite this," Belly said laughing at the memory.

" For whatever we lose..." I began to recite the poem because this was one of my favorite memories. Susannah trying to teach 5 kids to recite this poem was hilarious. We didn't even recite it in unison. Even after hours of trying to learn it, we didn't manage to do an average performance.

Jeremiah started reciting the poem too.

" Like a you or a me..." I just laughed at him.

" It's always ourselves we find in the sea." We all said in unison. As much as I like to spend time alone, I love these family interactions. Susannah gave us her gifts. She gave Belly a pair of pearl earrings and she gave me her pearl necklace. She told us that she got these for her sweet 16. Susannah helped Belly and I try on our new jewelry

" Thank you, Susannah." Belly said for both of us. Then Jeremiah gave a small box to Belly, which turned out to be a lucky charm bracelet to help her pass her driving test. He also gave me a small box. But this time, it wasn't a bracelet it was a necklace.

" Let me help you put this on." He got up from his seat and started walking towards me. I put my hair in the front and he put the necklace on me.

" Thanks, Jere. This is so pretty. You really didn't have to."

" Girls! Think fast!" Before we could react, Steven threw us two wrapped gifts. It turned out to be two Princeton shirts.

" Wow, Steven! I'm impressed." Belly said confused.

" Yeah! I can't believe you actually spent money on us." I said sarcastically because even though we're not close, I know how much he loves us.

" Yeah, whatever. Don't flatter yourselves m I just don't want you to steal mine next year." That created an awkward situation as Steven wanted to go to Princeton and mom wasn't so sure about it because it was very expensive. Thank god Susannah broke the awkward silence after this conversation by telling Conrad to give us our gifts.

" Sorry. I forgot." He said and then there was this uncomfortable silence again.

" We didn't really expect anything." Belly said clearly disappointed. But I know she expected something from him. She has been in love with him since we were 12.

" I promised Cleveland I would help him out." Conrad said and he left. He was clearly upset.

" Girls, do you wanna go driving? I could help you practice." Belly and I agreed to Jere's offer and we went outside.

" Belly is gonna drive." Jere said as he got in the passenger seat.

" What? Why? It's my birthday too, you know." I was offended. I'm not a good driver yet, but if I don't practice I'm never gonna be able to drive.

" Because you're gonna get us killed." Jere had a point, so I just sat in the back.

" How do you feel about Taylor coming to Cousins?" Jere asked and Belly said she was excited.

" I don't want her to come here. She always makes everything about herself." I like Taylor but she is so selfish sometimes. I remember when we were little she had come to Cousins for vacation. Belly and I had told her about our crushes on the Fisher boys, and she went after Jeremiah. She always does. Every time she comes here she flirts with him, and I get very annoyed even though I've told her I don't like Jeremiah anymore.

" Yeah. But it's your birthday. She won't make it about her." As much as Jere wanted to make me feel good about Taylor coming, I'm not gonna change my mind.

" I guess you're right." I know I'm gonna be left out for one more time. If Taylor doesn't make everything about herself, she makes everything about herself and Belly.

" We have to go to the station. Taylor will be here in 10 minutes." Belly said and she started driving to the bus station. And after 15 minutes the bus was here. I saw Taylor getting off the bus with balloons and some bags.

" Happy birthday to my favorite twins." Anyone could hear the excitement in her voice. Maybe this day wasn't bad at all. She hugged Belly and me and then she greeted Jeremiah.

" Hey, Jeremy. Could you help me with these bags? Thanks." And here she was flirting with him again. She gave Jere her bags and started walking towards a table in the store at the bus station.

" You owe me 10 dollars." I said while putting my hand out for Jeremiah to give me 10 dollars.

" Yeah, whatever." He said as he gave me 10 dollars. We followed them to the table. Taylor had bought Belly a pink bikini and she had bought me a purple one. We talked for a bit about the plans for today and when Belly mentioned Nichole and how kind she was, Taylor got jealous. She got jealous because Belly had been hanging out with other girls. She was scared because she might lose Belly. And she quickly changed the conversation.

A/N: Sorry for not updating. It was a rough week for me and I didn't have much spare time.