"The Moon Knows Who We Are"- Enjoltaire

"We're all so small in the universe. 'The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless' as Rousseau said. Whose to say what's out there, we can imagine whatever we want. Our problems are infinitesimal in the grand scheme of things," I said, looking up at the faded stars in front of the fading colour of the sunset. I saw each one, felt each strand of grass on my neck, each soft blow of wind past me.

"You get so philosophical in the evening," Grantaire lightly laughed next to me. The most unlikely person for me to discuss philosophy with, especially at this hour. And yet, with the starry sky spread out in front of us, I didn't have any complaints.

"And you're surprisingly tolerable when you're sober," I said, propping myself up to face him, leaning on my arm. A small giggle floated through my mouth at his overdramatic scoff.

"Well I never, monsieur Enjolras. My feelings are ever so hurt." The back of his hand flew to his forehead with a dramatic gasp.

"My sincerest apologies, madame Grantaire," I mocked with a hand over my heart. His lighthearted, mellifluous laughs filled the cool air.

"It really is beautiful out here. I don't remember the last time I did anything like this," He said, gazing at the pinks and oranges of the dying day. I couldn't help but admire him. His childlike wonder at the painted sky, his bright green eyes, his curly black hair resting flawlessly on his face, his perfectly parted lips-

I caught myself. It couldn't be happening again. I couldn't see Grantaire as anything more than a friend. I'd be killed, maybe him too. It was too much for me to handle. I knew I had feelings for him, I had known for a while, but the law had its hand over my mouth.

"Enjolras? Are you okay?" I heard him ask, bringing me back to reality. He shuffled closer to me, a worried look on his face. I nodded, not wanting to talk, in fear I might say something I would regret. Still with a concerned look, he nodded back, sitting upright. I follow suit, pushing off the grassy ground to sit next to him.

I glanced over at him, regretting my choice as soon as it was made. Sadness washed over his face, much different to the goofy, fun loving man that had been here only moments ago.

"Is it me?" He asked, his voice small and meek as he peeked up at me through his deflated hair.

"NO!" I yelled urgently. The sad look was blown off his face, replaced with a look of fear and confusion. "Sorry- It's not about you."

"Then what is it about?" He questioned as he scooted even closer.

"It's just... love problems, I guess," I told him, carefully. I saw his face droop, though it was so slight I could have missed it.

"Who's the lucky girl?" He asked, pushing a smile onto his face. 'You' I wanted to say, the words were practically pushing their way out of my mouth, but I held them back.

"She-uh- She's kind, and brave," I said, already disgusted at the thought of this made up girl. "They're passionate about certain things. They love their friends, care about the little things," I tell him, staring at him as his eyes stare off into the distance. "They have longer curly black hair and piercing green eyes. You can tell they don't like their appearance, but they are the most beautiful person I've ever seen." Grantaire's head whipps around to face me. I try to fight a smile.

"And what's this girl's name?" He asked, his voice ever so slightly higher in pitch. I take a second, considering if my next move would be a smart one. It was not, but the words were already evaporating into the night air.

"R, you've mentioned having attractions to men, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, I just never really liked women, what about it?" He answers, running a hand through his wild, black hair.

"I think I'm the same," I let out. My words float through the cool air and into the vibrant sky. I look at the shocked look on his face. His eyes meet mine.

"So... who is this man that you speak so highly of?" He asked. For a second, I forgot to answer, too lost in his eyes to think a single thought.

"I thought I was making it quite obvious, R." A smirk grew on my face with his wide eyes. A smile slowly started to grow on his face. I took a breath. "It's you, Grantaire."

"Wait- I- Really? You're not kidding? If this is a joke, Enjolras- If this is a joke, Enjolras I swear on the stars I will-" He rambled as his hands flew around, trying to grasp thoughts. So there was nothing else to do.

I grabbed his hands and pressed his lips to mine. I heard a slight squeal as he wrestled his hands out of my grip. They landed on my neck in an attempt to pull me closer. My hands get lost in his hair as we fall to the ground. The grass tickled our necks as the slow passion of the kiss lit up my heart. This is everything I have been waiting for.

Suddenly, he pulls away. The once confident man I knew had turned meek and small in my arms. He looked up at me with his sparkling eyes, coated in fear.

"Won't we get in trouble? What if someone finds out?" He asked, his hands sliding down my neck and gripping the collar of my shirt. I wrapped my arms around him protectively. I smiled at the feeling of him snuggling into my chest. I look up at the moon, now surrounded by black sky and stars.

"Nobody needs to know, my dear. The moon knows who we are."