Crescendo - Lams

"John Laurens!" John heard a crazed Frenchman running down the halls. The man in question laughed to himself as Lafayette's curls fell into the room before him. "JOHN!" He screamed again before tripping into the room, grunting when he hit the floor. This energy did not falter as he scrambled back up and towards John's desk.

"I heard you! What happened, why are you screaming at me?" He laughed as his friend tried to catch his breath.

"Has Hamilton told you the news?!" He exclaimed, tap dancing around the desk to John. His brow's brow creased, scanning his memory.

"I saw him just this morning, he didn't mention anything of high importance. What happened?" He asked, curious, oddly worried.

"You know that Eliza girl?" John nodded, standing. He crossed his arms over his racing heart, hoping his nerves would show. "They're getting married!"

And that is when John Laurens' world collapsed.

"I-what? When was this?" He asked, trying to hold back the quiver in his voice. He pushed a smile on his face, trying to look happy for the inevitable couple.

"I'm not the one to ask, he simply called for our audience this morning and told us." He exclaimed before a look of curiosity overtook him. "If I had to guess, I would have thought you of all people would be the first to know, if not one of, given how close you are. Alexander's mind works in strange ways, though I trust him. He truly is brilliant. Lucky Miss Schuyler, or should I say, Mrs Hamilton." The Frenchman rambled to Laurens' fake smile. "I apologise if I ruined the surprise, or whatever Alexander had planned to tell you, I was just so happy for him, and I'm certain you are too."

"Of course, how can't I be? They are perfect for each other, written in the stars. They will be very happy indeed." The room fell silent as if pushing Lafayette out of the room. "If you'll excuse me, these papers need to be submitted by tomorrow," John spoke, making his way back to his chair before his friend's hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Mon amis? Are you okay? I hate to admit it, but I was expecting... more, I suppose. You are Alexander's closest friend, I was preparing for you to be all in a flutter." He said with concern, looking into John's eyes that were glued to the floor.

"Let's just say I was rooting for another horse. It-" He sighed, finally meeting Lafayette's worried gaze. He swallowed. "It never gets easier seeing all these women trip over themselves to win his praise. And they get it, whether they deserve it or not. After all these years by his side, don't I?" He yelled, throwing himself away from Laf's touch as he paced around the office, heart racing. "What more can I do to deserve his public affection? After all this time confessing our love behind closed doors, this is how he repays me? Dancing around with the girl who will respond to his every need, needs that I simply cannot fill. He needs a girl on his arm, he needs to be at the top of the social hierarchy, he needs money! All while I need him!"

His rambles crescendoed to the climax of his broken song. He stood, in the middle of the room, heart empty of confessions, numb with an empty pedestal. A pedestal previously occupied by the only person he ever truly loved. The silence was deafening as John recovered, becoming aware of all he let go of, all he made known to Lafayette. He slowly brought his gaze to his friend's face. His expression, understanding, empathetic even.

"John, to what extend does Alexander know these feelings?" He asked after processing all that he had been told.

"He knows I love him with all my heart, and I was under the impression the feelings were reciprocated. He never mentioned anything about wishing to propose to Miss Schuyler, though somewhere in my heart, I knew. He knows the optimistic future I entertain of our relationship, and I know how foolish my ideas are. I never wanted this day to come."

"I understand completely, John. You must inform him of these emotions. I know how hard it is living a lie, but keeping a secret from your love is a pain so unimaginable, you will blame yourself for the rest of your life. For a man that admires the art of communication, I am almost certain that Alexander will hear you though. If the love you share is as great as you make it out to be, this is merely an obstacle you will surely overcome."

John looked up at his friend, a smile spread across his face, appreciation plagued his heart. "You are one of the best friends a man could hope for, Laf, I hope you know that." The Frenchman simply smiled, thanking him for his kind words. A nod was shared between the two before John's coat with pulled off it's hanger by the door, soon meeting the cold winds outside as it's owner raced to the home of Alexander Hamilton.

Yall want a Pt 2? Coz I want a Pt 2.