Empty Bed - Lams

Alexander's feet padded on the cold tiles as he made his way through the dimly lit hallway towards the crackle of the fire. After waking up to a dark sky and an empty bed, he felt alone, the need to find his partner growing. He saw his beloved, sitting cross-legged in front of the warm fire, writing something on a piece of paper in his lap. He stood in the doorway for a moment, admiring the way the fire reflected off his loves blond hair and his pale skin.

"My love, come back to sleep," The man called, walking up to him slowly.

"I have an early shipping out of town," John replied, looking up at his partner. A small frown spread across his face as Alexander sat down next to him. The young man's heart sank at the memory that John was going to be away on one final mission after the war.

"It's still dark outside," The redhead told him, laying his tired head on his shoulder, listening to the crackle of the fire, watching contently as the fire licked into the cool air.

"I know, I just need to write something down," John said softly, pressing a light kiss to Alex's temple. A light blush rose on his cheeks as he fought back a smile.

"It's alright, we're not running out of time," The soldier said, looking up at his blue-eyed angel.

"Shh," The man cooed, sliding a strand of loose hair behind his ear.

"Come back to bed, that would be enough," Alexander whispered as John's hand guided the younger man's lips to his.

"I'll be back before you know I'm gone," He said after they parted.

"Come back to sleep," Alexander asked once more, dreading the idea or returning to an empty bed, the first of many until he returned.

"We leave at dawn," He told him, pecking his forehead. Hamilton sighed, suppressing a yawn.

"Well, I'm going back to sleep." He stood up, groggily. A wave of dizziness hit him, causing John to follow suit to stabilize him. Alexander gave a smile of appreciation. John's hand caressed his face again, letting it soon travel through his fiery red hair which he adored. Their lips touched, their hearts exploding. Alexander pulled away, pulling John's hands out of his hair. He kissed them before going to exit the room.

"Hey," he heard Laurens call. He spun around, attentive.

"You're the best of partners and the best of men. I love you, my Little Lion," He said with a small smile, small tears forming in his eyes.

"I love you too, John," Hamilton responded, oblivious to the storm in his partner's heart.

That was the last time the two proclaimed their love to each other. Days after, Hamilton received news that the love of his life had been killed in a gunfight against British troops. The war was already won, and yet, they had to take John down with them.

The inconsolable man soon found the letter his love was writing the last night they had together. It was a declaration of his love for Alexander. Pages and pages were filled with rambles and rants about everything he could think of, ending with the hope that they would be together for years to come.

All Alexander could do was press the feelings so far down, he could no longer feel them. As he stepped back into the spotlight and began working as a government employee, he piled as much work onto himself as he could. Anything to fill the gaping hole where his heart used to be. Anything to forget the love he could no longer show.