My Aide de Camp - Lams

A little My Policeman inspired one-shot. Loved the movie so much, highly recommend, 10/10 emotional damage. 

The soft washing of the waves comforted Alexander's racing heart. He walked alongside the love of his life, on a beach far enough away from civilisation so they wouldn't be seen. The wind pushed Alex's long, red hair in his face, obstructing his view of John, a man whose life he was about to destroy.

John, on the other hand, had never been happier. Gliding across the sand, on top of the world, next to the only man he had ever truly loved. A smile was present on his face as the sunlight rested on his skin. The almost setting son provided a warmth that could never match the warmth Alex provided for him.

"John, love? Can we talk?" Alexander asked, his hands shaking slightly, his heart racing faster than it ever had before. He took a deep breath as John's diamond eyes met his. "I have something I wish to discuss with you."

"You look nervous," John observed, worry glistening in his eyes.

"I am," Alexander replied, silently refusing to meet his eyes, knowing it would only make it harder.

"What is bothering you, my dear? Your worries are mine." Alexander took a second, breathing his last happy breath before the storm.

"I was approached by General Washinton a mere few days ago. You know of my platonic involvement with the Schuyler sisters, but he suggested I change that. He brought up the missed opportunities that might arise for a bachelor in this career, and there would be many more if I wish to pursue law after the war is over," Alexander said, the worlds spilling out of him like a wave, hitting John. The blond's eyebrows furrowed.

"What does that mean, Alex?" He asked, praying to whatever higher power was out there that the words he feared most wouldn't come out of his partner's mouth. He saw the redhead wouldn't meet his eyes, fear filling his heart even more than before.

"I-I want to get married, John. And it kills me every single day that I can't marry you," Alex whispered harshly, not trusting himself to talk any louder. "I hope you understand why I must do this, it's for the sake of myself and all those whom I might help with higher positions," He rambled, knowing full well that nothing could make it better.

Tears burnt his eyes like fire, eventually dripping down his face. He glanced up at John, a look of confusion and pain slapped across his face. He looked back down, he couldn't bare it. With every silent second that passed, every second that ticked by with no response from John, new tears surfaced and fell. Droplets followed the path of those fallen before them. He covered the pain on his face with his shaking hands, surprised he wasn't shaking with the grief of losing the most important thing in his life.

"I'm sorry, John. I really am. I don't want this, but I have no choice. You know I have no choice." He spoke, his words barely affected by his tears, wrapping his arms around himself.

He heard sand crunch in front of him. He knew John was leaving. His eyes squeezed shut in an effort to block out everything around him. His heart was beating out of his chest as his mind raced with ways that their situation could possibly be good. He tried to think of ways he could make John stay. He squinted his eyes open, expecting to see John stomping away, but what he saw instead was much more confusing.

John stepped forwards towards him, wrapping his arms around the lost boy, and holding him to his chest. He ran his hands through the tangled, unruly hair of Alexander. The redhead perched his head on the blond's shoulder, burying his nose in the crook of his neck.

"What are we going to do, John?" Alex whispered, drying his tears on his partner's shoulder while placing his hands on his back. He held him as tight as his body would let him.

"I don't know Alex. For the first time, I don't know. For the longest time it was just the question of how we sneak around, but now bring a whole other person into this. And a Schuyler too, they're too nice to be taken advantage of." John rambled, kissing the side of Alexander's head.

"Could you share me?" Alex asked, breaking the hug to look him in the eye. His heart raced as he saw John formulate his decision. After a few moments of silence, the man spoke.

"If that's what it takes."

-----------------