Wishful Thinking - Enjoltaire

I don't remember when I felt happy last. It was always just putting up with anything life threw at me. I could have never imagined this as the path I would go down. My head was so full of ideologies of the revolution and what I would do after, I forgot the most important things in life.

I never considered what I'd do if I survived the revolution, but didn't win. I thought I'd always try again until France was saved. But as heroic and brave as it sounds, I knew I would lose. I knew more lives would be lost. Why cause more pain and suffering when I could spend the rest of my life in bliss with the love of my life?

Jehan and Joly ran away from the fight, scared for their lives, and rightfully so. Though, they managed to find the guard's spare guns. All I could hear from the top floor of the cafe were screams and gunshots, more than before. I was scared, terrified with the thought that I was about to die. All fear was erased the second Courf ran in, gun in hand, blood splattered across him but otherwise unhurt. He told me we could go before they came again. Not wanting the fear for my friends' lives to return, I took us away, hiding in different allies' houses before we could safely leave the city.

It was heartbreaking to see the city I love still oppressed, but with Grantaire's hand in mine, I knew we would be alright.

Courf and Ferre travelled to Ferre's sister's house in Montreuil, and a couple of others went too. Others not as close to the revolution stayed hidden for a while in the city, waiting for the dust to settle so they could continue their lives. Everyone else found new lives in Drancy, including Grantaire and me. The small town was a refuge for the remaining Les Amis.

When moving into the town, R and I found a small cottage, abandoned and neglected, on the outskirts of town. It was on a hill, overlooking the town. Though many would have seen it as a lost cause, Grantaire saw it as a challenge. In a matter of weeks, working day and night, the cabin was livable. After about two months, it was our dream home. It was away from everyone, all our problems simply melted away.

Now, I sit here, overlooking the sunset from the grass in front of my house. The smell of freshly baked bread glideing through the air as a smile grows on my face.

"Enjy!" I hear the love of my life call. A smile grows on my face as I hear his footsteps in the grass behind me. I turn around smiling as he kneels down next to me. His fingers push my chin up, connecting our lips. The wind softly blows past, rippling the grass around us. I feel completely content. Like I never had before. I love everything about my life right now. Especially my partner. He is the best thing in this new life of mine.