I want to know what love is - Eddie Munson

F/F - Favorite flowers : F/P - Favorite Pizza : F/D - Favorite Drink.

Dustin startles Eddie out of his thoughts on how his new D&D campaign is going and what direction he could take it in by dropping his lunch tray on the table and sitting in the chair to his right. He directs his scowl at the teenage boy who is rearranging his food on the tray.

"Right now, I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner is her favorite song. F/P pizza and F/D are always a good choice. Those are her favorite food and drink. Despite her refusal to acknowledge it, she also loves F/F and loves it when someone buys them for her. She has a tendency to be a hopeless romantic but don't bother taking her anyplace where she needs to get dressed up fancy and eat fancy food she can't pronounce the name of. She enjoys grand gestures, despite the fact that she thinks they are incredibly cheesy. I swear she's a walking contradiction when it comes to romance," Dustin drones on and on about his older sister's preferences when it comes to dating. "And as much as it pains me, she really likes you... a lot."

Eddie and Y/N Henderson were classmates in high school. Eddie was initially supposed to graduate the same year as she did. Despite the fact that they had not been friends, the two of them had several classes together and were sometimes paired up for assignments and projects. She was always kind and friendly towards him. Y/N was also a bit of a nerd; she was constantly buried in a fantasy novel, with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe from The Chronicles of Narnia series being her personal favourite. When they had been paired together for projects a few times, they had bonded over their shared music and movie tastes, but they had never gone any further than classmates.

Eddie used to have a small crush on her, but he would never admit it to anyone let alone himself at the time. She left for college for a year after graduating, while he went back to high school to repeat his his senior year.

When Dustin started high school and joined Eddie's Hellfire Club, the two eventually reconnected. Y/N was responsible for picking up her brother after Hellfire Club due to their mom was working nights. Eddie was taken aback when he saw her again. He had no idea how it happened, but Y/N had become even more beautiful in his eyes. She was no longer the shy teenage girl he had a schoolboy crush on but a beautiful woman he fantasized about possibly having a future with.

"What are you talking about, Henderson?" the metalhead fantasy freak questions him. He has a frustrated expression on his face and confused eyes.

"You're as clueless as she is," Dustin mutters to himself, rolling his eyes. Eddie scowls at him. "My sister!" He exclaims, drawing the attention of those at the next table. "As much as I want to throw up at the thought of her dating, I would rather she be with you than some jerk who will make her miserable."

Eddie's expression changes from annoyance to confusion and then to realization. "Are you giving me permission to date your sister?"

"If you want to put it that way, sure." He shrugs.

"Why do you—I don't know—You think-" He stumbles over his words until Dustin cuts him off.

"Cut the shit, Munson. I know my sister, and I believe I know you well enough to know that you two have something special. I haven't seen her smile, laugh, or be happy since she left for college until you two started talking again. You can't deny that you have feelings for her as well. When you see her, your eyes light up, you smile more, you're nicer, and you actually let her sit in on a campaign. You would never allow non-members to do that!"

Eddie refutes the presumptions of his younger friend. "That means absolutely nothing."

Although he would be overjoyed if she were interested in him, he didn't believe that she is. He didn't think he - a metalhead, a third-year senior, Hawkins' freak, Hellfire club leader, and D&D fan - could make Y/N - A queen of hearts, according to him, who is smart, funny, kind, and compassionate - happy. It didn't help his cause that she enjoyed metal music, fantasy books, and movies and would make the time to come and see Corroded Coffin play at the Hide Out every Tuesday night. The voices of his fellow students taunting him served as constant reminders of who he is and where he's at. He kept telling himself that she deserved better than him, what he could give her and the life they would have.

"It means everything!" Dustin shouts at him.

He starts to say something but stops himself when the others begin to join them, taking their usual seats. He gives Dustin a stern look telling him to drop it. He Eddie's most recent D&D campaign, however, was now pushed to the back of his mind as all he could think about was Y/N and Dustin's words.

Ten minutes go by before Eddie kicks Dustin's chair, gaining his attention again. "Is she at home today?"

Dustin nods, takes out a piece of paper, and writes his address and phone number on it before handing it to him. "She has the day off. She doesn't have to go to work until tomorrow night."

Eddie gets up from his chair and takes the piece of paper. The other boys are left watching him with bewildered looks as he picks up his "lunchbox" and rushes out of the cafeteria. He wasn't typically one to get up and leave mid-lunch. He takes out the few coins he has in his pocket and walks over to the payphones. He picks up the phone, dials the numbers that Dustin had written down, and then waits for someone to answer.

After the third ring, the ringing stops, and Y/N's sweet voice can be heard through the receiver. His sudden surge of confidence quickly fades away, his mouth goes dry, his heart racing, and his mind goes blank. This was harder than he anticipated.

"Hello?" he hears her say a second time when he didn't say anything.

"It's Eddie," he tells her, shaking his head and mentally cussing himself for how he was acting.

"Hey, everything all right? Is Dustin okay?" Her voice is filled with concern as she asks. Even when they paired up on school projects, Eddie had never called her. She was always the one to call before he was able to.

When she did, he was relieved because he didn't want to admit that the day after she had given him her number, he had lost it while cleaning his room.

"Everything is fine," he says, assuring her. "And Dustin is Dustin."

"That's a relief. I can't picture the day when Dustin stops being Dustin," She quips.

Eddie grins, "I hope he never stops being Dustin."

"Me too."

"So..." Eddie begins, regaining his confidence. "Do you have any plans for tonight?"

"I don't have any plans," she tells him.

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out without the kids," he says, referring to the members of his club. "We don't have to. I just thought it would be fun to watch a movie, order a pizza and get to know each other better. A certain kid won't shut up about you."

"I would like that," she agrees.

"Good. Shall we aim for 7? I can come get you." he offers.

"That sounds good to me," she says. Eddie can hear the smile in her voice. "And Dustin won't shut up about you too."

"Good to know," he says, grinning. "I have to get to class. I'll see you at seven."

"See you then. Have fun Enjoy the ."

"I'll try," he scoffs jokingly, before saying goodbye and hanging up the phone. He walks back into school, unable to wipe the large grin from his face.