His father's son - Eddie Munson.

Italics are flashbacks.

"What shall we do today?" Y/N asks her 2-year-old son, James, as she finishes dressing him for the day. "Should we paint some new pictures for Uncle Dustin?"

When the thought of painting and his honorary uncle makes the small boy's huge doe-brown eyes light up, she smiles. Painting is currently the toddler's favorite activity. He painted on any paper she could provide him with, frequently himself and even the walls of the trailer they resided in. After the second time he painted on the walls, she made sure it would be an outdoor activity.

"You stay right here," she tells him, putting him in his play pen. "Mommy is going to go set up your paint, okay?"

"Paits!" Although using the incorrect word, the toddler clapped.

She smiles, tenderly correcting him, "Paints."

"Pants." He cheers again, this time with a completely different word.

"Close enough," he shrugs and takes out the container filled with all the painting supplies James would ever need.

When Y/N revealed that James' new favorite activity is painting, Dustin, Steve, Robin, and Will, had gathered all the materials they could locate. When Steve and Dustin dropped it all to Y/N, James was beyond excited while she was in tears thanking them all. After the majority of the town turned their backs on her, the support she received from the Upside-Down crew occasionally became overwhelming for her.

Because her son, James Edward Munson, was the child of supposed cult leader and serial murderer, Eddie Munson's, the residents of Hawkins immediately despised the small child and believed he was the devil's spawn. As soon as it was revealed that she was pregnant, the rumors surrounding Eddie much worse. He was accused of sacrificing Chrissy, Fred, and Patrick in order for Y/N to become pregnant with Satan's offspring, ignoring the fact that she became pregnant three months before to the murders, with Y/N and Eddie finding out just one month earlier.

Y/N had made numerous attempts to escape Hawkins, but she was unable to do so. The only parent Eddie had who cared about him, his uncle, was still in Hawkins along with her parents. Despite Wayne and her parents' best efforts to persuade her to leave and their offers of help, she was unable to go. The people she cared about most remained in this town. She wanted her and Eddie's son to be raised surrounded by their families and friends, not people who didn't know them.

Over the past year, the animosity had gradually subsided, but every now and again, someone would say something snarky to remind her of their true feelings about her son. They treated her like a victim for some reason while treating her son the same way they had treated his father. The only difference was that James didn't have an angry mob of hicks hunting him down and falsely accusing him of murder.

She was setting up the paint table outside when she saw Wayne's car parked outside his trailer, letting her know he was at home. She decides to take him some dinner before he returns to work later, knowing he would have just gotten home from his night shift at the plant.

After returning inside, she lifts James out from the playpen and brings him outside. "Poppa is at home. Should we visit him later?" She asks the young child as she sets him down in front of the table.

"Poppa home," he says, his hands automatically going into the paint and making a mess. Fortunately for her, she had dressed him in an old outfit that he was outgrowing.

"We can cook him dinner and bring it to him. I'm sure Poppa would appreciate it." She smiles as she sits across from him on a flimsy metal and fabric outdoor chair.

Wayne is now known as Grandpa, or Poppa, as James refers to him, rather than Uncle Wayne.

After Eddie died, Wayne continued to let her live with him as they moved into a trailer near their old one. While still grieving for his nephew, he made sure she had all she needed and along with her parents, he helped her in any way that he could. For her, Wayne had become a second father. She also knew it was what Eddie would have wanted. He had repeatedly stated to her that Wayne had been more of a father figure to him than his own father. Wayne was the one who most deserved to be called grandpa.