Maybe we should tell them - Joseph Quinn

"Are you dating anyone?"

The audience was hushed as a result of the relatively straightforward question, all eyes were focused on the young actor as they awaited his response. While looking at his co-stars who are seated next to him on the big stage, Joseph's eyes eventually land on his girlfriend who is seated between Jamie and Grace.

Joseph thinks to when they were backstage waiting to go on with Finn, when he and Y/N encountered one of her former co-stars from a project she worked on before to Stranger Things 4. He wasn't typically a jealous guy, but there was something about the way her ex-co-stars eyes would linger on her, his flirtatious tone, and the way his hands always managed to find a way to touch her that made Joseph feel uncomfortable as the green-eyed monster appeared.

It didn't help that he felt powerless to do anything about it because Y/N and his relationship is private; they choose to keep it that way when Eddie became an overnight sensation, sky rocketing Joseph's fame just as quickly. Only their fellow co-stars, closest friends and families knew of their relationship that started on the set of Stranger Things 4.

His cheeks began to slightly flush red as he realized it was taking him some time to respond to the young girls question. "I'm sorry, what was the question?" he asks acting as though he had forgotten it.

"Are you dating anyone?" The fan repeats her question.

"Am I dating anyone?" He repeats asking himself. He gives Y/N another quick glance, only seeing green as he can't stop his mind from going back to what he was just thinking about, before turning to face the audience and not thinking about the consequences of his answer. "I am dating someone and she's absolutely wonderful."

At that very moment, the convention center burst into speculation about who could be Joseph's girlfriend, oblivious to the surprised and concerned expressions that Jaime, Finn, and Grace are now giving Y/N.

Upon hearing Joseph's words, Y/N's heart sank into her stomach. He calling her wonderful made her feel good, but she was also worried about how the fans might react and a little mad that he hadn't mentioned that he wanted to confirm that he's in a relationship so they could talk about it.

Jamie reaches over and offers her hand a comforting squeeze while leaning slightly closer to her, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she lies. Jamie and Y/N did not have many opportunities to interact on set and were never in any scenes together. They got to know one another better through his friendship with Joseph and working the press tour together, and they quickly grew close, their friendship resembling that of siblings.

"Are you dating Grace?" The same girl can be heard asking.

Everyone turns to look at Joseph, who appears to be slightly embarrassed by what he just did and guilty for having let his jealousy get the better of him and not considering how this might be making Y/N feel.

In their excitement, the fans miss Grace reaching over and taking Y/N's hand in hers and giving it a reassuring squeeze, letting her know that she's got her back while Joseph, Jamie and Finn try to calm the excited crowd. Joseph makes sure to let the crowd know that him and Grace aren't dating with Grace backing him up.

"I can assure you that Joseph and I are not and will never date. We're just good friends," As the audience begins to calm down, Grace can be heard saying into the microphone. Just like Y/N and Joseph did when they first met, Y/N and Grace had hit it off and quickly became close friends and remained that way after filming. "I've met his girlfriend, and we're also good friends, so I know how amazing she is. She is genuinely the sweetest person I know."

Y/N is slightly relieved by her words, giving the younger woman a grateful look until she hears the sighs of disappointment heard in the crowd, which causes Y/N's heart to drop. She looks to Joseph again seeing the disappointed look on his face.