Family day out - Part 2

"Come on, Sophie, it's time for bed," Y/N, who is heavily pregnant, tells her four-year-old daughter. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Sophie's favorite show, is playing on the TV.

The young child pouts, looking defiantly at her mother, "I want to wait for Daddy."

"Daddy won't be home until later because he has to work extra long tonight," she explains before suggesting what she always does on nights like this. "How about we lay down in mommy and daddy's bed and mommy reads you a bedtime story?"

"And baby too?" Sophie asks while standing.

Y/N adds, "And the baby too."

Sophie enters her bedroom and exits carrying four books. Being too tired and simply wanting to get off her swollen ankles, Y/N decides not to argue with her about how many books she can pick. She also knew she'd end up reading all four books twice before Sophie fell asleep. When it came to staying awake, the little girl was more stubborn than her father. Since the moment she was born, Sophie has battled sleep like it was her arch enemy. When Eddie wasn't home, it made bedtime challenging. After all, she was a total daddy's girl. Sophie hands the books to Y/N, who then assists her into the queen-sized bed before climbing under the covers.

She asks her daughter, "Which one should we read first?"

She is not at all surprised when Sophie holds up her "Where's Spot?" book. The four-year-old has loved that book s ince she was two years old. They've gone through two copies of the book. The first copy they had was covered in scribbles, food, and drink. After they're settled in bed, Y/N takes the book from her. She begins to read the book as Sophie puts a hand on her mom's stomach, but is distracted by the baby's active movement. The book is quickly forgotten about.

"Don't worry, little brother," Sophie, who has frequently observed Eddie do it many times, rubs circles on Y/N's belly and begins speaking in a comforting tone to the unborn baby. The little girl is certain that her baby sibling will be a brother. Eddie and Y/N decided that they would wait until the baby is born to learn the gender of their newest family member. "Daddy will be home soon."

As she watches Sophie speaking softly and gently touching her stomach, Y/N's eyes begin to well up with tears. She is confident that the young girl will make a wonderful big sister. She already has the biggest heart and is incredibly kind and compassionate to others. At kindergarten three days ago, she witnessed Sophie assisting a teacher in cleaning a scrap on a little boy's knee after he had tripped while running around. Sophie puts her head on Y/N's chest and continues to speak affectionately to her younger sibling as Y/N runs her fingers through her curls while smiling through teary eyes.

Sophie soon becomes silent, and the only sound coming from her is her steady breathing, which lets Y/N know that she has finally fallen asleep. Y/N decides to keep Sophie in with her since she is unable to carry her to her own bed. With one hand covering Sophie's hand, which is still resting on her belly, and the other hand caressing her daughter's hair, she slowly drifts off to sleep.

Eddie gets home from work just before ten o'clock. The lights are still on but the trailer is quiet. Only the lamps in their bedroom and on the side table by the front door are typically left on by Y/N when she goes to bed before he gets home. When the main light is turned off, the bedroom lamp still provides enough light for him to see. He switches on the bathroom light, needing a shower before going to bed. He is aware that Y/N will force him to sleep on the couch until the birth of their second child if he gets grease on the new sheets she has on their bed.

As he enters his bedroom to get a pair of pajamas, he finds Sophie and Y/N cuddled up next to each other. They both have peaceful expressions on their faces as they sleep, with Sophie's head resting on Y/N's chest. He smiles as he takes in the sight of his growing family. He never imagined he'd end up where he is now. He didn't know he wanted this until he met and quickly fell in love with the woman of his dreams. Everything they had been through had only brought them closer together.

He often pondered what might have happened if he had died that horrifying night in the Upside Down. He was confident that Y/N would eventually move on, find someone new, and lead the life she deserved because she is the strongest person he knows. If anything were to happen to him, he would want that for her. He wouldn't want her to live a life of constant grief. However, his children wouldn't be here if he hadn't lived. His world revolves around Y/N, Sophie, and their second child, and he is unable to imagine life without them.

He is drawn out of thoughts when Sophie stretches and rolls over, away from Y/N. He enters the young girl's room and switches on her lamp before returning to his own. He lifts the sleeping girl off the bed while taking care not to wake her. She clings to his chest as he carries her into her bedroom. After setting her in her bed and covering her with her blankets, he gives her a gentle kiss on the head. After turning off her lamp and turning on her unicorn nightlight, he walks back into his room and drapes a blanket over his wife before grabbing himself a pair of pajama pants and an old Metallica t-shirt. He goes into the bathroom, closes the door and turns on the shower.

He gets dressed after his shower and places his dirty clothes and coveralls in the laundry hamper next to the washing machine. He then returns to his bedroom, turns off the light, pulls back the bed covers, and slides into bed. Y/N had rolled onto her side, facing his side of the bed. He grins as he pushed some of her hair back behind her ear so he could see her face. Eddie genuinely believed that he was the luckiest man in the entire universe. He places his hand on her stomach and feels a light kick against it. At first, he smiles before he notices Y/N's slightly wincing.

Eddie lowers himself down the bed until his face is level with the growing belly of his pregnant wife. He then gives her a soft kiss, prompting another kick from the active baby. Y/N frowns a little more in her sleep.

"Shit," he says quietly. He starts speaking to his baby in a soft, soothing voice, "Hey little one, maybe you should ease up on the soccer playing." Still pressing his hand against Y/N's stomach he feels another kick.

"You're going to wake mommy up," he warns the baby, and the movement slows.

"Your mommy and I are extremely happy and excited that you are almost here. So is your big sister. We can't wait to cuddle you and shower you with so much love and affection. We love you so much. You're going to learn everything I know about The Lord of the Rings, metal music, and D&D. I'll show you how to play the guitar and how-."

He is interrupted by Y/N's sleepy voice, "Let me have this one."

Eddie looks up at her, his brown eyes locking with her Y/E/C eyes. Her sleepy eyes held a hint of playful humor. "You have Sophie; let me have this one."

He quips as he climbs back up the bed to be face to face with her, "I wouldn't have a problem with having two daddy's girls."

She chuckles, "You think this one is a girl? Good luck trying to tell Soph that."

"Let's not," he says, kissing her.

She returns his kiss before resting her head on his shoulder. "How was work today?"

"It was work," he shrugs, pulling her into his arms and resting his hand on her pregnant stomach once more. "I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with my family."

She reminds him, "We need to go shopping this weekend."

He kisses the top of her head with a smile. "We can make it another family day out. But for the time being, let's get some sleep."

"I love you," Y/N breathes as she closes her eyes and drifts off to sleep.

"I love you too, Baby," he says as he also falls asleep.