Happy Tears - Eddie Munson

After a challenging day at work, Y/N is eager to go home and spend the remainder of the evening cuddled in her boyfriend's arms on their bed, listening to Metallica softly playing in the background as he read her a chapter from his favorite book. It's what she loves to do after a difficult day.

However, she's shocked to find a small table set up with mismatched dinnerware, one of your candles burning in the middle of it, the Righteous Brothers playing in the background, and the smell of burnt food emanating from the kitchen as she enters the trailer that belongs to Eddie's uncle.

"Eddie?" She says finding her boyfriend of four years using a cutting board to clear the remaining smoke out the little window in the kitchen. "What's going on?"

He quickly turns to face her, a look of surprise, shame, and embarrassment crossing his features in a matter of seconds. He hadn't realized she was home until he heard her talking.

"Surprise," he replies, his voice hesitating and his expression apprehensive, before sighing in defeat. "I thought I would do something nice for you because I know you've had a tough week with work, your parents, and me still in school."

He sets the cutting board aside and walks over to her with three peach-colored dahlia flowers that he had picked from someone's garden. She smiles as he admits, "I might have stolen these from someone's garden."

She was fully aware of whose garden he had taken them from. When they passed the garden where they are growing, she mentioned a few times that these are her favorite flowers.

"Thank you," she says as she smells the flowers. "I love them."

"I uh..." He stands there with his hands on his hips and a faint blush on his face, adding, "I also found a cassette of that band you love so I grabbed it for you. I'd give it to you, but it's playing right now."

She feels her heart swell as she continues to fall in love with the man she already knows she'll be spending the rest of her life with. The way Eddie stood, the tone of his voice, and his facial expressions all made it clear that he felt completely outside of his comfort zone. Knowing he was prepared to go through all of this to cheer her up after a hard week brings tears to her eyes. She's never had anyone care for or love her as much as her favorite metalhead does.

"I also attempted to cook dinner," he says, glaring at the stove and the burnt food and pots and pans in the kitchen sink before turning back to her and seeing the tears in her eyes. "You hate it. Jesus H. Christ, I knew I-"

"No, no, no, I love it, baby," she assures him, dropping her belongings on the couch and placing her flowers on the table. She cradles his face in her hands and says, "I promise, I love it."

"Happy tears?" He asks, raising his hands to wipe the tears that were streaming down her face.

"Happy tears," she says as she pulls him into a hug. "I love you, so fucking much."

"I love you too," he smiles pulling her in for a kiss.