BILLS NO THRILLS

Thandie shuffled the bills in her hands like French suits of clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades. No matter how she looked at things, she didn't have enough money to pay the bills. The house was broke.

She had already made cuts and said O Dabo [bye in yoruba] to Netflix movie nights while her kids did the same Saturday morning Disney movies on the Disney platform.

Her children had no activities other than school. Leisure was two swings and a ride on the roundabout at the park. The list went on; the cardboards once filled with branded goods now had tasteless food with suspicious nutritional values behind white labels. Buying ingredients for African dishes came up more expensive. Okra, smoked turkey, stockfish, ugu, plantain, pounded yam, milo, peak milk, bell peppers, the basics some would say would add up to about one hundred and five pounds, either seven thousand two hundred and twelve nairas for a week's worth of food.

Moses Chiromas' wife never even looked at the receipt, but Thandie, the single mother, could only dream of topping such a bill.

Thandie laid the papers on the table and took a huge gasp of air, hoping not to succumb to a panic attack. She did what the doctor advised and thought of good times and what made her happy.

Moses.

For Thandie, it was love at first sight. Tall, medium brown complexion. Small, eyes, lips and nose, and a dress sense, the woman was a goner for the sweet talker. Moses was one of those men that made Chinua Achebe and Sidi Kaddour El Alami sound like amateurs.

She was twenty-four when Moses put the ring on it. The babies popped right away. Royal followed by Kenya, the pregnancies weren't planned, but the couple found themselves blessed with a baby every two years. It was a dream come true, but the happiest moments were yet to come.

People gasped every time Thandie revealed her age and the number of kids she had.

"How do you cope?"

"I hope your husband gives you a hand," were the usual comments that fused.

Moses helped; when present, Thandie felt like a queen. It wasn't rare for Thandie to come downstairs and find Moses hoovering or washing the dishes with one of the children on his back. That's the basics, some would say, but Thandie knew not all men contributed to housekeeping as much, especially when their wives stayed home.

Moses went all out for Royal. His first and only son got all his love and devotion. Moses made sure to build the infamous father and son bond. They even had a unique boys' day out once a month. Just as Thandie had her night out once a week, Moses would take her to a restaurant while Thiane babysat.

Those were the days.

Thandie looked at her ring finger. It was still there; she had no strength to take it off. They were still married; Moses hadn't signed the papers. She was still Ms. Chiroma. Denial was absolute, just like her struggle.

Not only did he cheat on her, but Moses made sure she was the one who did all the paperwork for the divorce in London.

Thandie wished to be free, but at the same time, all she knew was how to be Moses' wife. She knew how to make love, cook, and dress for Moses.

Her world revolved and evolved around him. The man made himself an essential with his affectionate ways making the woman a devotee of his love.

Thandie was his; the band on her finger attested it.

Her children didn't know, or at least they pretended well. It was foolish to think they didn't overhear some of her conversations, whether face to face or over the phone.