SIGN UP

Thandie had to wait for her children to sleep for her sister to start her braids.

10 pm was the hour. The children, galvanized by their aunt's presence, pushed to stay up with the help of Thiane, who strategically threw out, "Tha, come on, it's Friday."

Friday.

The word no longer sounded like leisure time for Thandie, who usually prepped to date Moses. No, Friday night was the day Thandie took out her ironing board and steam station. She would place them in the living room to iron while trying to follow a movie or series on Netflix.

Thiane's presence livened Thandie's evening.

"Here," Thiane said and handed a Leffe to Thandie.

"Adi?"

"What, it's Friday," Thiane replied, tilting her head from side to side.

"The braid pattern will be crooked if you drink."

Thiane laughed, "Tha, it's not a beer or two that will make me tipsy enough to trace Hokusai's wave on your head."

How weird it was, Thandie thought, you're changing diapers one minute, and you're drinking together the next. Years flew by fast.

Thandie opened the can and drank. "Have you got peanuts?"

"Hey, who do you think I am," Thiane said while she shook a large bag of unshelled peanuts at Thandie.

The women settled to begin to braid.

"You know what would be great with the Expressions [brand of synthetic fibers to braid] you have, Tha?"

"No, but I guess you are going to tell me, Thi," Thandie said and grinned.

"Tetris braids."

"Tet what?"

"Look," Thiane showed her screen displaying different photos of black women on Pinterest with the flat braids style that integrated geometrical lines.

Thandie rolled her eyes, "That's for you, Gen Z, people, whatever. I can't style my hair like that."

"It's very versatile and tidy. You can do an updo or leave them be."

Thandie crunched her peanut and said, "Listen, I work at the post office."

"Yes, everyone knows it with the style you have. You need more innovation and extravaganza. Where's my Thandie hot candy?"

"She's gone. I don't think she even existed."

Thiane lowered her head and flattened her lips, "Are you kidding me? Remember when Dad used to threaten the boys that would call? You had guys following you home, gal."

Thandie sighed as she thought of all the men who wished for her to give them a time or day and the one she finally fell for.

What would have happened if she had chosen someone else? It was too late. There was no use looking back.

"I'm not that woman anymore."

"But you can be. Let me try this style on you. It will be quicker than the boho braids you wanted, and honestly, if it's tidy, you want Tetris braids are way better."

"Okay, do whatever. I just want my hair done," Thandie said, waving a hand as if to say bye.

Quicker.

Thandie didn't know what to think when her sister began to take pauses. At first, Thandie profited to drink and snack, but the breaks soon got on her nerves.

Half an hour later, Thandie only had three braids done at the back.

"Adi, what are you doing?"

"I'm replying to one of my matches on Oppo."